AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i'm a noob to this forum and also to the camcorder hobby

my wife is due in a few months and i would like a HD camcorder ..preferably flash or dual

I have an HDTV so i would like to take advantage of this.

I am hoping not to break the bank on this and am looking for spending 500-700 range...

i like to consider myself stable in terms of shooting but my wife doesn't think so ..so please recommend with this in mind...

Thanks for all the help in advance

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The Canon AVCHD camcorders have excellent image quality and are reasonably priced.

HF100/HF10/HF11 (from last year)

and newer models...HF200/HF20/HFS100/HFS10... Also the HG20 and HG21 - although they use hard drive as internal memory.

Price range is from (refurbished HF100) $500 to $1250 (new HF S10)

The HF 100 and HF S100 are card only. all the rest are card plus flash memory internal.

You need to pick up some flash memory cards: SDHC: "Class 4 or higher"

Your pc needs to be at least dual core with hopefully 3 gigs of Ram. If it can't handle it you'll have to convert your files to something easier for your pc, like .mpeg2 or .wmv

In that case, you would save the original mts files for future use on a better pc.

If you are taking family videos, it is important to not leave the files on one hard drive. hard drives fail. you need to back up your files to data DVD's and other hard drive(s).

These file-based cams are not tapes - although you could buy a tape-based HD camcorder like the HV30 and save the tapes as an archive The HV30 takes regular miniDV tapes.

PC requirements are much lower for the HV30 than the HF camcorders,

too... You can find a refurbished one in your price range.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=16206

There other brands of camcorders...these are all I am familiar with.

You can use a tripod (turn the auto-stabilization off in the camera) or a hand-held stabilizer to help with shaky video:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...Ns=p_PRICE_2|0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was looking at the hf11 from canon for 700

but i heard that the hf s100 is amazing...but can someone tell me if it's worth the investment

or should the hf11 be enough for me based on my original post?

·
Registered
150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws /forum/post/17041349

The HF 100 and HF S100 are card only. all the rest are card plus flash memory internal. You need to pick up some flash memory cards: SDHC: "Class 4 or higher"

I have been pricing 32GB SDHC memory and, although prices vary, I have found the lowest price to be around $60. So, I wonder, why would anyone pay $200 more (retail) for the HF S10 instead of the HF S100? Is the internal flash memory in any way better than removable flash memory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws /forum/post/17041349

Your pc needs to be at least dual core with hopefully 3 gigs of Ram. If it can't handle it you'll have to convert your files to something easier for your pc, like .mpeg2 or .wmv In that case, you would save the original mts files for future use on a better pc.

I assume that these heavy performance requirements are only necessary if you plan to edit the video. What if you do not plan to edit the video; you just plan to play it back on the PC? Does that still require a high-end PC? In addition, how does one playback the video? Do you need a special player or will WMP do fine?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Get a cheap refurb cam for now. Wait a little while for consumer grade DSLR camcorder that have enough oomph to do [email protected] And by then 64MB SDHC cards would be dirt cheap.

But then again, if you are one of those that cannot see the benefit in lugging around a bulky 10MP-only DSLR camera when you can buy a petite 12MP point&shoot for 1/4th the price ... then you can safely ignore my advice.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon /forum/post/17081644

Get a cheap refurb cam for now. Wait a little while for consumer grade DSLR camcorder that have enough oomph to do [email protected] And by then 64MB SDHC cards would be dirt cheap.

When do you think this will be coming down the pipeline?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder /forum/post/17082019

When do you think this will be coming down the pipeline?

With the Pentax K7 already out ... (it does 720p without hiccuping) ... I would guess that [email protected] is around the corner.

There are some logistical hurdles they will need to tackle though .. FAT32 has file size limits and [email protected] eats up a lot of space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts