AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to solicit some testimonials from the forum regarding the display of home movies from camcorders on plasma TVs. I have a Sony Hi8 camcorder and I wanted to make some movies of my daughter, but the display looked horrible -- looks like an old, dusty, abused-beyond-recovery VCR tape, being played on that VCR from the AMEX commercial where the little kid put oatmeal inside instead of a tape.

I assume this is normal, because the camcorder looks pretty OK on an old 19" TV and the camcorder has been lightly used. I think the old TV fails to highlight all the problems with the source material.

So, before I get too far with this, I'm wondering if anyone has had good results making home movies for plasma display? What is required: digital camcorder, 1 mega pixel CCD,..., etc.?

Thanks,

driver8

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Yes.

I used a MiniDV camcorder. It was set to SP with widescreen on.

I transferred it to DVD+RW using firewire and recorded in HQ mode (highest quality 10MBps).

The results are quite lovely on my plasma!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've just upgraded my camcorder from Sony PC-5 to Panasonic's new DV953 and the difference in image quality on the Plasma is quite remarkable. The Pany DV953 supports anomorphic mode when recording and therefore supports the widescreen tv without putting black bars at the top and bottom of the recorded image. The DV953 is also 3 CCD camcorder vs most 1 CCD consumer camcorders. If you don't mind spending approx $1300 for the new camcorder, I think you will be very happy with the results. Between the native widescreen mode and improved color from 3 CCDs, the image almost looks as good as commercial DVDs. The 40-50" plamas really highlight the difference in the image quality.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a sony dcr-pc120bt mini-dv camcorder.It has 1.5 mega pixels ccd.I have to say recorded images look incredible on my panny plasma.It may be time to upgrade to a new camcorder. bm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.