AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first camcorder to capture video of my newborn son as well as many of the places i hike to, and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of a few. I'm trying to decide between a canon vixia hf10/hf11 or a vixia hv30. Or possibly waiting for the just announced hv40 or hf s10/100. Or another brand/model that's recommended. I don't mind waiting.

Here is what I'm wanting:

Excellent image quality for the price (don't want to spend a fortune)

Small and lightweight

Great build (holds up and doesn't feel cheap)

Easy to transfer to a computer with little or no loss of quality for easy editing

I like the hv30/40 b/c of the ease of tapes, they're inexpensive, great for archiving, 24p native recording, and no quality loss when transferring. What don't like is the 60min of recording time, no ability to directly access recordings, the need for eventual cleaning and maintenance, and the slow 1:1 transfer to computer.

The hf10/11 seems great b/c solid state memory would be great for hiking (no moving parts) and the ability to expand it with a small sd card. Also, no mechanical noise and the size and weight are pluses. What I worry about is the avchd format it compresses the video to, as well as, the 60i recording it does then converts to a progessive signal. This all takes a hit on image quality, and have heard nightmare stories of things appear plastic looking when viewed on a HDTV. Not sure if it really happens or if the hit on quality is noticeable at all. I also know of the slow transfer/conversion process if u don't have the fastest computer on the planet. I plan to use my core 2 duo MacBook pro for editing. So, the 10-30 hr conversion times I seen are way excessive and make editing seem a monumentous task.

And that brings me to the just announced hf s10/100. Was wondering if the much larger sensor and bigger/better lens on it will be able to overcome the loss of compression to the avchd format? And possibly compare to the minidv recording quality? I like the 8.59mp sensor for still images but not really a priority, I already have a canon 40d dslr for photo taking.

Any suggestions would be helpful, given my needs. Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadlovesong /forum/post/15552689

I'm looking to buy my first camcorder to capture video of my newborn son as well as many of the places i hike to, and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of a few. I'm trying to decide between a canon vixia hf10/hf11 or a vixia hv30. Or possibly waiting for the just announced hv40 or hf s10/100. Or another brand/model that's recommended. I don't mind waiting.

Here is what I'm wanting:

Excellent image quality for the price (don't want to spend a fortune)

Small and lightweight

Great build (holds up and doesn't feel cheap)

Easy to transfer to a computer with little or no loss of quality for easy editing

I like the hv30/40 b/c of the ease of tapes, they're inexpensive, great for archiving, 24p native recording, and no quality loss when transferring. What don't like is the 60min of recording time, no ability to directly access recordings, the need for eventual cleaning and maintenance, and the slow 1:1 transfer to computer.

The hf10/11 seems great b/c solid state memory would be great for hiking (no moving parts) and the ability to expand it with a small sd card. Also, no mechanical noise and the size and weight are pluses. What I worry about is the avchd format it compresses the video to, as well as, the 60i recording it does then converts to a progessive signal. This all takes a hit on image quality, and have heard nightmare stories of things appear plastic looking when viewed on a HDTV. Not sure if it really happens or if the hit on quality is noticeable at all. I also know of the slow transfer/conversion process if u don't have the fastest computer on the planet. I plan to use my core 2 duo MacBook pro for editing. So, the 10-30 hr conversion times I seen are way excessive and make editing seem a monumentous task.

And that brings me to the just announced hf s10/100. Was wondering if the much larger sensor and bigger/better lens on it will be able to overcome the loss of compression to the avchd format? And possibly compare to the minidv recording quality? I like the 8.59mp sensor for still images but not really a priority, I already have a canon 40d dslr for photo taking.

Any suggestions would be helpful, given my needs. Thanks!

Hi,

I have a Canon HG21 (which has the same optics as the HF11). I absolutely don't know much about the HF10. I really like the HG21 - I chose this camcorder over the HV30 and the Sony SR12. I purchases the HV30 and returned it in a week. I didn't like the fact the blue looked purple and during that time I decided that I just didn't want to go back to minidv. (My previous camcorder was a Sony TRV950 - 3 CCD). My next purchase was the Sony SR12 and about a week later I tried the Canon HG21. Both of these camcorders have a 120gb HDD - some differences and some similarities. You should check out the thread on HF11 vs. HG21 vs. SR12 - A lot of folks have posted their opinions on these cameras.

For me, the HG21 was the choice.
The HF11 has basically the same optics and menu system as the HG21. The HF11 is smaller (flash based), and no viewfinder (if that matters).
Good luck on your decision.

-Pam

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadlovesong /forum/post/15552689

solid state memory would be great for hiking (no moving parts)

This is about the only thing I can comment on since it directly relates to what I'm looking for as well. You are right on the money with your statement. The hard drive based camcorders are so bloody tempting, but I just can't get over 2 huge negatives (for me): 1. they use hard drives, 2. I can't use them over 10,000' in elevation.

Flash based units are pretty much ideal if you don't need to shoot really long & continuous footage, and you can deal with not having a viewfinder. I've now used the miniDV, hdd & flash based models in testing, including the transfer of video onto my PC for editing. I guess I'm just not that critical, but everything looks fantastic from all the camcorders. Anything is better than all the footage I have lying around on miniDV tapes in caveman resolution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts