AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in transferring my home-movies from my DV camcorder to a dvd to watch on theatertek. Has anyone successfully done this? What is your setup? Would any dvd authoring software out there work with theatertek?

Regards,

JASON

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Use Pinnacle Studio 8 and Sonic MyDVD and both work well, with a few quirks in each. Stay away from the Power Director, its a apin to use. Bill

·
Registered
545 Posts
You will neeed a firewire connection in your computer. If you import using anything except firewire you will not get the benifite of DV.

There are a number of non-linear editors(NLE) that should work.

I'm new to PC's and come from the Mac side. I used a Mac G4 with Finalcut(excellent product) and created a DVD using iDVD and a Pioneer 104. The final output was fantastic quality

Clay

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Bill I've got another question for you and one that may be of interest to Jason.

For one of my classes we had to video tape a production process. We used a Sony Hi8 tape and 1394'd it to my Vaio laptop. We are in the process of trying to edit the video from around 38 minutes down to about 15. I am wanting to maintain quality but also be able to put the finished video on CD for display in class.

Are there any codecs out there that let me do this? I tried compressing using the Cinepak codec that came with Adope Premiere 5.1LE but it took our 7:xx (min:sec) clip and compressed it from 1.42 GB down to 999MB, still too big!

I've gone to VCDhelp.com can I fit the final product, which will probably be close to 3 GB onto a single CD?

Thanks to all in advance!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've tried the encoders integrated into my DVD burner and have had better sucess with a dedicated encoder. You'll need to extract the DV from the camera in it's raw form. The files are very large so plan on having a big hard drive.

Then follow, the instructions on this page to encode to MPEG-2 for burning to a DVD or MPEG-1 for VCD.

http://www.vcdhelp.com/convert

Personally I've had the best luck with TMPENC. It's slow but produces high quaility MPG2 videos.

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Thanks ddwakeham, I've got the raw files, all 7 Gb of them. I haven't downloaded TMPENC yet, I was planning to do that today. I'm worried that when it is edited probably down to 3 Gb that it won't fit onto a single CD. I know the site talks about putting about 1 hour of "dvd quality" video on a single CD, but I suspect that the source file was already very well encoded(compressed). Should it fit? The final video will only be about 15 minutes long.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Do all of your editing in the DV format, this will give you the highest quality. OOnce you have a finished edit then you will be ready to "output" it to any number of final forms. TMPGENC should work well. I have made SVCD's(mpg2) that are of such good quality that they are close to DVD quality.

Once you have a final edit you will be able to experiment with different compressions to get what you need. 15minutes will easily fit in a CD.

Clay

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Great, I've got the first part done still in the original DVcodec avi format. I will work on the finished form and then try TMPGenc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.