AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a camcorder last year Canon HF20 and this camcorder creates AVCHD/MTS files.

I want to get a good editing software for this?

An editing s/w came with this camcorder (Pixela ImageMixer 3SE) is not good. I cannot split the files and it takes more than 20 hours to burn a DVD.

Please recommend something for me.

Suresh.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sony Vegas is a great program but a little pricy.

Windows Movie Maker is free and it does the basics.

Powerdirect is not bad and aimed at beginers but you might as well start with vegas as you'll want to start doing more advanced editing down the road and you will have to learn a new program again.

Try the trails to see what you like/need. As for slow burning times that might be due to a slow dvd burner.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Rajadurai /forum/post/20837716

Hi,

I bought a camcorder last year Canon HF20 and this camcorder creates AVCHD/MTS files.

I want to get a good editing software for this?

An editing s/w came with this camcorder (Pixela ImageMixer 3SE) is not good. I cannot split the files and it takes more than 20 hours to burn a DVD.

Please recommend something for me.

Suresh.

20 hours? That must due to your slow dvd burning speed or your inadequate computer processor to handle HD video.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by userdude /forum/post/20851349

Does anyone has any experience, or "comments" with Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 Ultra ?

A 64 bit video editing software...

I used it for my Canon HF G10 and found that the videos it rendered were not very good. The codec they use tends to muddy the picture and I want as crisp and clear as I can get.

Song Vegas Pro 10 was miles better for PQ. Of course it also cost more.

Power Director was easy enough to use but who wants crappy soft looking video?

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I'm gradually gaining experience with Adobe Premier Elements 9. It was under $100. I picked it because Adobe is a big brand name, a friend works there and there is a $30 Adobe produced book called "Adobe Premier Elements 9 - Classroom in a Book". It is billed as the "official training workbook from Adobe Systems". If I master Elements there is an upward path to their more expensive video stuff, but so far I can't find anything Elements won't do if I take the time to learn it.

Adobe brags about Premier Elements being "reference based". That means it can't and won't ever alter your original files. Instead, it marks reference points that are used to pick up the parts of the originals you select and then makes a new file.

The quality of the final files is up to you depending on your needs. You can create output for everything from HD TV to an iPod.

There are some easy to watch video tutorials on both the Adobe site and YouTube where you can see how it works. For the basic features, try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjG2tAnbtdI . To see how some more advanced options work try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwVJQIfQt48

Reviews on Amazon as always are a little confusing. It appears to be amazing for most but some users get upset because their computers choke on it and they can't figure out why.

You can watch YouTube videos to see what it does. If you like it, you can download a free copy that inserts a "Free Trial" title on your productions. Then, if you still like it, you can pay them. I tried the trial and then went to Best Buy and paid list price!

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the whole adobe CS5 Suite and its got all the editing tools I need. Easy to use and interface is user friendly. There are also lots of plugins available for free/purchase. Also, make sure your computer can handle the processing requirements of AVCHD files, I have a hi-end pc with 8gb of ram and found it to be just OK. I upgraded to 16gb and it became a lot better.

If simplicity is all you need; try Windows Movie Maker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.