AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a camcorder under $300 (or plus or minus $20)

Please advise best one from below or advise any other camcorder for above price.

CANON FS 200

Sony HDR CX100

Sony DCR SX60

-Nag

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sanyo VPC-CG10 or CG-20.

What are you looking for in a camcorder though? Are you looking for something compact and simple to use like the Flip HD? Is 300 a hard hard limit? Because at 400 you can get the excellent Sanyo VPC-HD2000.

Do you want manual controls? Sanyo's CG10/20 have a suprising amount of manual controls and can be found for below 200.

Edit: Heres a list of things you want to consider.

____________________________________________________________ ______________________________

Does the $300 include the price of memory? Some camcorders will come with memory, some will require you to buy an SD card. For the latter, you might want to consider the cost of memory.

Are you okay with gray market/used/refurbished goods? You can get some more expensive camcorders cheap this way.

What type of user are you/how do you intend to use this? Are you an amateur filmmaker familar who demands manual controls? Or are you someone simply looking to capture certain memories. This will also determine form factor.

Form Factors:
  • Traditional: Strap, box-like device with the lens in front.
  • Pistol: Sanyo Xacti - think a pistol, with a lens where the barrel would be. I like these the most, as I find them more ergonomic than traditional cameras. It's also very easy to hold something still in a pistol grip.
  • Ultracompact: Flip - Think a cell phone, these are designed to fit in your pocket. Normally does not offer zoom.

Other features: Do you need a hot shoe, do you need an external input? Whats the resolution you're looking to shoot at?

If you need help, you can IM me at evil666rat - I'll be happy to talk with you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Perhaps you should consider the Samsung H100 HD Camcorder. It has optical image stabilizer that is pretty good IMO. Image quality is decent, on par with the Sony. It is not AVCHD - which may be bad or good depending on your need. It is useful in that the MP4 file it creates is playable without any type of re-encoding of the file. It also has an option to record at 720p and 480p (30fps), which is pretty rare I think. The image isn't quite as sharp as a Sony or Canon, but for $300 it's a pretty good deal.

The H100 can be had for just under $300 at a variety of online retailers, including Amazon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts