AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

It was hard to choose but finally my decision is gonna be the HV-10 or HC3 (HC7 depending on the price). Since I´m not interested in editing and my computer sucks I just want a device something quick and easy tu burn the footage in SD DVD (HD is still to expensive) so that I can store my HD footage in mini dv and use DVd´s tos watch until HD players aren´t cheap.

I understand that I can burn the tapes into DVD with a DVD recorder that has HDD and firewire connection.

To keep it simple I was thinking about The Sony DV DIRECT VRD-MC3. (it was created to this purpose) but since it costs around 300 in Europe maybe in this range I would be better served with a regular DVD recorder that could be used to other recording. My knowlege here is ridiculous and I would apreciate help from somebody that understands those issues or even already uses a recorder to burn camcorder footages into DVD´s. Around 300 ( I think this would be the same as saying 300 dollars since here thinghs are more expensive). Please help me choose!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I´ve searched a litlle and found the following models that are in price range and I think can burn a DVD from a camcorder. Can somebody give some feedback. I don´t understand much and I don´t know the quality of these dvd recorders:

- Pioneer DVR-433

- Philips DVDR 3380

- Philips DVDR 3400

- Samsung DVD-HR730

- Samsung DVD-HR 734

- Samsung DVDR 135 HDMI

Thank you once again for your kindness ang goodwill

·
Registered
737 Posts
why not burn HDV onto a DVD in HD-DVD format. It doesn't cost anything extra, still 15c DVD disk and a regular PC burner. But you get to watch the video in its original HD format. The only catch is that you need to spend that $400 on an HD-DVD player for playingback the disk instead of on one of those DVD recorders.

·
Registered
929 Posts
There is a DVD Recorder section on this forum that goes into the dvdr (dvd recorder) topic in some depth. You'll need to be sure that your camcorder can connect with the dvdr. Most, I would even say all, dvdr's accept composite (red-white-yellow) input and s-video input, but not all camcorders output s-video, and not all dvdr's accept dv input. The composite is not as good quality as s-video or dv; almost no difference between s-video and dv, except dv passes the audio and s-video requires audio cables.

Are you going to have issues with the recording format such as PAL vs NTSC?

The favorite dvdr's seem to be the Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, and at the lower end, Polaroid, but no dv input on the Polaroid and most popular Pioneer 640. Don't know about Sony.

Recorders without HDD are available, but the flexibility and convenience of the HDD make it highly recommended. You may find that you may want to drop some sections, or combine them differently from what you recorded on the tape, and an HDD makes such rearranging easy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank ou very much for your kind words.

I know that computer is best for editing and everything else but as I said before, my computer sucks big time, it has no reasonable memory, speed, no firwire and USB is still 1.1. So that you can understand that whit it I can do almost nothing, much less in HD, and buying a new one is totally out of question since it´s already a big hit buying the camera and a DVD burner. Also playing HD is only possible to me with the camcorder connected to my HDTV (720p native) via HDMI or Components. See, I live in Portugal and HD technology is very recent . The cheapest HDDVD player costs around 600 and the 300 I talked in my previous posts is almost too much. So I can´t spend the extra money. Maybe in the future When HD will be cheaper. I just want a DVD burner with SD quality so that I can use my tapes as storage and play my footage in good SD DVD player (I already have the Pioneer AV-696). The Dvd recorder wouldn´t even be used to play footage, just to burn DVD´s. The "perfect" solution for a camcorder is the Sony DVDirect VRD-MC3 DVD. But here it costs 300. It´s in the limit to afford it but since I saw that some DVD recorders are cheaper (like the ones I reffered to in my previous post) and maybe can do the same job with the same quality, then it could be better to purchase a DVD recorder with HDD. Also for less money I could even use it to record Tv programs and the Sony doesn´t have any ouputs, just inputs connection. This is where I need help. Since I don´t understand much I don´t know if the DVD recorders, in the 300 range, are any good or should I buy the Sony VRD. I know that Pana, Sony and Pioneer are top but they are also very expensive, even the cheapest one taht couls serve my purpose is over 300. I would like your opinion in this price range and what do you think I should do... buy the sony unit or a DVD recorder?

My camcorder option will be between the HC3 and the HV-10.

Thank you once again

·
Registered
929 Posts
Greetings to Portugal! HD (High Definition) is new here in the US also. I think your plan to get a good camcorder and a temporary stand-alone SD dvd recorder so you can get dvd's out is a good plan. In two years, the dust may settle, HD Recorders will have some of the startup bugs worked out and prices drop so you'll get a better machine at a price that will be enough lower that the HD Recorder price then plus the SD DVD recorder price now will be lower than a HD Recorder price now.

I'm not familiar with the camcorders or dvd recorders you mentioned. But let's admit, you won't find the ideal; nobody has yet. Just find something you'll be content with.

I looked on CNET.COM; both the Sony HC3 and Canon HV-10 have good picture quality, but neither have a microphone input jack. One reviewer complained of a noisy whine on the HC3. The HC3 does load tape from the top, good, because you don't have to take the camera off the tripod to load tape. But the small battery doesn't last long- maybe 30 minutes, and you do have to take the camera off the tripod to change the battery. Nearly all my work is indoors, so I use the camcorder power adapter plugged into an electrical power outlet.

The recorder. I don't want to make choices for someone else. I'll just share some of my opinions, but please remember, free advice is worth what you pay for it. I have done a fair amount of recording and editting over the years, Hi8 on my pair of Hi8 vcr's. Four years ago I bought a PC to do video editting, but was not able to master that art, so for the past two years, all my editting of the weekly church service plus special programs, weddings, and funerals, have been on standalone dvd recorders, Panasonic E100h (my favorite for selecting and changing scenes), E85h, and about 6 months ago, the Panasonic EH55S.

So I will doubtless be biased.

Some very helpful reference sites in addition to this AVSFORUM are CNET.COM for user reviews of equipment; VIDEOHELP.COM, particularly helpful for getting listings of models that meet your desired features, and RESELLERRATINGS.COM for comparing prices and for evaluating merchants.

The Pioneer 433 and 533 might be worth a good look; around US$400; they don't write to dvd-RAM. The newer Pioneer 640 does write to dvd-ram, but no dv input.

Samsung was in the US$400-450 price range; didn't get much info on the 730 or 734, but the 720 seemed to be quite full-featured, 2-way copy between hdd and dvd. Firewire input, writes and reads to dvd-ram, and price around US$339. I expect the 730 and 734 would have similar features.

Finally, my top choice is the Panasonic EH55S, at US$450, not that much more than some of the Pioneer and Samsungs. The EH55 is newer, has a lot of options and convenience features, writes to all current dvd formats, -R, +R, -RW, +RW, -RAM, and Double Layer.

VIDEOHELP showed a EH55EU (European?) for $550. If you are just burning your own recordings, REGION should not be a problem, until you want to sell it, so a US model may work for you.

If at all possible for you, I would urge the EH55, even if you have to keep it a year longer. Or, could you sell it, when you are ready to go HD?

Even SD dv is going to look better on HDTV than on standard tv, at least it does for us. We have a 15" Polaroid HDTV as our output monitor on our production units, and yes, much sharper.

One more point. Occasionally the subject of dvd durability comes up on the DVD-RECORDER section. There seems to be some feeling that home-burned dvd's may lose their strength after a few years, three to five, or ?, so hang on to your tape originals if they are valuable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.