AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I come to the experts looking for advice on a camcorder. I am expecting my first child in the next couple months and want to be the typical parent recording all the important moments in his/her life.

I am looking for something on the cheaper end around $400, maybe to $500. I was searching on consumer reports for ideas of what to look for. I don't have an HDTV, so a standard def camera is fine. I would like a hard disk based media but would consider other media, although I would probably stay away from mini-dv as I plan on storing/editing video on a Mac.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. If I am missing some information that would help making a recommendation ask me some questions and I will answer.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
sony was clearing out their 30GB SD camera for $299 at BB

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws /forum/post/15478118

pczerniak. you can check out Amazon's Warehouse for camcorders on a daily basis.

"Open-box, Refurbished, and slightly damaged merchandise from Amazon.com at huge discounts."

Funny...

I see the Canon HG10 at the Amazon warehouse deals site for $1049.52

And, I see the Canon HG10 on the regular Amazon site for $649.99

I'm guessing that example is not typical...but in the case of the HG10, the Amazon warehouse deal seems rather bad.

Then again, maybe I'm not interpreting what I'm seeing correctly. (And I'm sure you've got to check Amazon warehouse site regularly to find good deals...and that not every deal will necessarily be "good").

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by varuscelli /forum/post/15481986

Funny...

I see the Canon HG10 at the Amazon warehouse deals site for $1049.52

And, I see the Canon HG10 on the regular Amazon site for $649.99

I'm guessing that example is not typical...but in the case of the HG10, the Amazon warehouse deal seems rather bad.

Then again, maybe I'm not interpreting what I'm seeing correctly. (And I'm sure you've got to check Amazon warehouse site regularly to find good deals...and that not every deal will necessarily be "good").

I think how it works is that the price displayed is the lowest they have listed of all their dealers in the "used" category; which includes Amazon's open-box and refurbished.

For example, the Panasonic HDC-SD9 displays "used" for $446.49, but clicking has a second used price of $594.97.

I guess what you see on that Warehouse camcorder page is hit or miss on a daily basis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts