AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an HD camcorder that I can connect to a HDD (via a PC) and continously record up to 40 hours of HD. Is there such a thing on the market now that you can go buy at BestBuy?

I know that something similar was possible with firewire and the HDV Cameras, namely the Canon HV40. This camera is no longer in production or for purchase at any retailers except online ones (amazon, etc) now.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
5,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroyon04 /forum/post/19628455

I am looking for an HD camcorder that I can connect to a HDD (via a PC) and continously record up to 40 hours of HD. Is there such a thing on the market now that you can go buy at BestBuy?

Buy a camcorder with built-in HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroyon04 /forum/post/19628455

I know that something similar was possible with firewire and the HDV Cameras, namely the Canon HV40. This camera is no longer in production or for purchase at any retailers except online ones (amazon, etc) now.

So? What is wrong with online retailers?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/19628527

Buy a camcorder with built-in HDD.

I don't think there are any camcorders with HDDs that big. The filesize will likely be in the several hundreds of gigabytes for a 40 hour (+) full-HD video. This is why I would prefer to simply record it to a 2TB HDD on my computer. Also, offloading from the internal HDD in the camera several times (once it is full) is not an option. I need continuous HD video of a very long stress test on a certain mechanical component, and need video of the component failing (when it does). I can't offload the video from the camera's internal HDD to my computer, because I will have gaps in the test, or have to stop the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/19628527

So? What is wrong with online retailers?

I would like to see the camera and try it for myself before I buy it.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroyon04 /forum/post/19628560

I need continuous HD video of a very long stress test on a certain mechanical component, and need video of the component failing (when it does).

May I ask why it needs to be high def?

·
Registered
633 Posts
It almost sounds like some sort of legal issue. You might want to check on the reliability of home digital media in a court of law (Edit, and the regulations related to this) before breaking whatever this thing is you are planning to break.

I mean, couldn't this digital recording have been edited to look like something was happening that wasn't? Couldn't you have just taken several different clips and edited them together? I dont know, but, this whole situation sounds pretty fishy to me...though I would love to know the details as it sounds pretty intense

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
There is the Canon HG21, with a 120gb hard drive - the lowest, LP setting, will give you 45 hours. It's still high def, but only 5mbps bitrate.

Is this running on electricity? If not, you're not going to find a camcorder battery that can go 40 hours.

Even if plugged in, Running a camcorder for that long is a bad idea. It's not only bad for the unit, but it's going to get way too hot.

You would probably get a warning message much sooner than the max storage capacity with an automatic shutdown. Camcorders are not made for surveillance.

If you are using a computer, just get a USB HD webcam. Or get a graphics card that can support a surveillance camera.

Otherwise, I think you could use one of those cameras that hunters put in the woods to film wildlife. It's not technically a video camera, but takes x frames per ?, depending on the unit.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroyon04 /forum/post/19628560

I don't think there are any camcorders with HDDs that big. The filesize will likely be in the several hundreds of gigabytes for a 40 hour (+) full-HD video.

Don't think - calculate.

Modern camcorders have 240 GB drives. So, 240 GB / 40 h = 6 GB/h, or 6*8*10^9/3600 ~ 13.3 Mbit/s.

Now lets look at the Panasonic HDC-HS700: 240 GB HDD, its recording modes:

1080 / 60p (28Mbps / VBR) , (1920 x 1080)

HA (17Mbps / VBR) , (1920 x 1080)

HG (13Mbps / VBR) , (1920 x 1080)

HX (9Mbps / VBR) , (1920 x 1080)

HE (5Mbps / VBR) , (1920 x 1080)

So, choose HG mode and you are golden.

If you have, say, a Sony XR550V, it has a 240 GB drive as well, and the following modes:

HD FX 1920 x 1080 24Mbps

HD FH 1920 x 1080 17Mbps

HD HQ 1920 x 1080 9Mbps

HD LP 1920 x 1080 5Mbps

The closest one is HQ, which gives you 59 hours, according to Sony's official website. 9 Mbit/s is still reasonably decent.

You owe me $20.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Well it could just be some sort of dance-a-thon or something. There are obvious issues with "continuous" for that duration. Namely filesize, storage capacity and power supply. Tethered to a wall socket and using an external capture device like a black magic or nano flash is one option, perhaps the only affordable option. Just bear in mind that NOT all camcorders output HDMI "WHILE" recording. Some might not let you turn off the icons and timestamps when capturing by HDMI. And other quirks like heat management or an unexpected power outage might leave you high and dry in terms of continuous (unmanned) results.

24Mbps AVCHD is roughly 1GB every 5 minutes. 12+GB per hour. 288+GB per 24 hours. Actually that's lowballing it. Given that the filesystem takes some space, the headers / meta-data, and other things like VBR. So you're looking at 500GB per 40 hours roughly. No camcorder even those with HDDs has that sort of capacity in general. Some pro-ish cameras can achieve that by hot swapping dual flash cards, but that's very hands on. So you're probably looking at a webcam or capture card route. The HV30/HV40 models have a firewire mode that lets them operate as a camcorder. But that's a rarity IMO. Although my FH1 operates as a camcorder at 640x480 pixels and 30fps-ish.

If it is for legal issues, you'll want to check with the courts as to what is acceptable. BITD I heard something about having to submit the camcorder as well as the tape as evidence. To be locked away until after the case finishes. And other oddities.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba
The Panasonic HDC-HS700 with 240 GB HDD and 64GB SDXC card should record for a very long time in HE (5Mbps / VBR) , (1920 x 1080) mode. Or record with the HDMI output using a Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
No to the first option, as the HDC-HS700 will only record a maximum continuous 12 hours scene at a time internally.

The second option should work though, but be sure to turn off "Economy mode" so the camcorder won't shut itself off.

A word of advice, this camcorder (as are most others too) was not designed for such an extended period of continuous use. But if the goal is to have it fail, than it could eventually do that.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba /forum/post/19636384

The Panasonic HDC-HS700 with 240 GB HDD and 64GB SDXC card should record for a very long time in HE (5Mbps / VBR) , (1920 x 1080) mode. Or record with the HDMI output using a Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Hi, I have 2 questions about the Intensity Shuttle.

1) I guess that Intensity Shuttle is just to be able to record the video footages ( taken using a camcorder) directly into a PC, NOT directly into an hard disk, correct ?

2) Can the Intensity Shuttle be also used as video capture device for capturing tv programs on the c ?

Thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts