AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really confused...

I am typically a photography nut, but as of late I am completely compelled to get a HD camcorder. But I am really not sure if I would use it as much as I think I might.

My wife and I are traveling more these days, and while I typically like to take digital photos as we travel, sometimes I feel like I would really like to have a video clip of some of the cool places have have seen. We are making our first trip to vegas in a few months. We also hope to go skiing for the first time this winter.

We do not have children, nor do we plan to for a couple of years. I am not an aspiring videographer, but image and audio quality is important to me.

For those of you who may or may not be in my shoes of have been, would you please weigh in. I'd love to get several opinions..

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Typically a camcorder does better as a camcorder, and a still camera is better as a still camera. The two cross over now, and the still cameras are doing HD video, and the camcorders are doing high megapixel stills, so the compromise is pretty good. If I had to go with one camera, it would be the Sony XR500v, which is a video camera, and does 12mp stills.

I have a Panasonic TZ5 still camera which does 720p video, but the sound quality sucks. I wouldn't use it as a video camera. There are some fans here of the Panasonic GH1, and maybe that would be worth considering as an overall compromise, but since I have only invested in Canon and Nikon lenses, I won't buy a GH1.

Vegas is one of those places you want to enjoy while you are there, and carry the least load as possible. In saying that, if you could get yourself a Sony XR500v (or equivalent Canon), preferably take a dedicated still camera as well, but if you don't the XR500 does do pretty good stills. It will also give you your night and night portrait modes, which is a must for the strip.

Hope this helps, it's late and I was probably confusing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am just a casual photograher and I have always been taking photos in my travels and never taken a video though the function is there in my camera. However, lately I just bought a camcorder, a Sanyo HD2000 for my wife and we went on a holiday to Turkey. I was still taking my photos while my wife used the camcorder during the holiday. After looking at the videos, I wished that I had a camcorder in my previous holidays. Though a picture (or photo) is worth a thusand words, a video is worth a thousand photos, literally! Apart from the action that is only possible in a video, you can also extract reasonable stills from the videos taken. You can view my experiece in my Blog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.