AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first post on these forums...I usually use the UK based one but for some things this seems more informative.

I am currently in the process of purchasing a new camcorder. It will definitely be both HD and card/internal memory based. What my dilemma is how much to spend. I can't decide if I spend more will it actually be worth it. Just so you know the camcorder will be for family, holidays, events etc etc all consumer. I have a 1080p 40inch lcd tv and want the footage to look good.

I am currently looking at either the Panasonic SD200 or Cannon hf200 for the lower end. Or the Panasonic TM300 or the new Sony CX520ve (card based HXR520 with a couple of enhancement.

For my type of shooting and ease of use (for my wife) what would you advise?

Thanking you in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would go the CX520. Though for the same price you could get the XR520, and have 240GB storage, instead of 64GB. Personally I would go the cheaper XR500v and go with the 120GB. None of our SR12s have had any problem by having a hard drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk /forum/post/16931326

How much cheaper is the 505VE with the 32 gig flash storage?

In the UK the price for the cx505ve looks like it will be around the £950 mark. Where the XR520 gives greater storage as pointed out, the new CX range apparently has an improved OIS compared to the XR range and also does progressive I believe.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
The XR stabilisation is already very good. The added stabilisation is only electronic and not enabled in all modes. The progressive you refer to is only on the HDMI output, basically the camera has a build-in deinterlacer/scaler, the actual recording is still interlaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm doesn't sound too much of an upgrade but it is card I guess and slightly cheaper. The storage will be fine for me, not planning on making any feature films just yet

So the question is then...Is the Sony worth paying an extra £500 for, is the picture really that much better? If it is I am happy to pay it, just want to make sure.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
if you are looking for a flash based camcorder, TM300 offers more options than any other cam in the market and it is highly rated by almost all reviewers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.