AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading on installing security cameras. I really like to do things like this myself. So here is a couple ?'s I have: 1. I understand coax is used to install the security cameras. Is quad shielded RG6 coax, like the cableyou buy from home depot, the appropriate cable? 2. What is the proper cable for the power source (I'm looking for the specific name in order to price it in bulk)? 3. How does a person figure the max distance a camera can obtain a quality pic, for instance if using it for security purposes a persons wants a decent pic of the face or details of vehicles it records? 4. Where should I buy the proper terminations when using bulk wire? 5. What are any other details I should consider when installing the system (ie camera placement etc.)?

· Registered
322 Posts
1. RG59 w/ copper braid

2. 18 awg 2 conductor(thermostat wire)

1. and 2. Atlas makes what is called a siamese cable with #1 and #2 in one jacket. And I think it is a little cheaper than buying seperate.

3. Wherever you are buying cameras from should have a lens calculator(you enter distance and width of picture required and it will give you the size lens to match application and fit on the camera). Picture quality will also depend greatly on the camera.

4. Wherever you buy the wire and or cameras from should have the BNC or RCA connectors if that is what the camera takes.

5. Any long distances may require you to put the power supply closer to the camera because of line loss on the power. Try not to place pointing south(to sun) unless you are getting auto iris lenses(more expensive). If mounting outdoors in extreme climate(hot or cold)check operating temp of camera to make sure you are within spec or you may have to get a case with a heater/defroster to warm in winter or fan to cool in summer.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but if you have questions just ask.

· Registered
469 Posts
I agree that typically RG-59 copper is usually appropriate. On some occasions we have used RG-6 for camera runs in excess of 400 feet. It worked perfectly in this instance. The building was 125,000 square feet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.