1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to write something along this line but I found this

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/636/636361p1.html

Quoting from the FAQ on sniping. Bold are my thoughts

"Welcome to the first guide in the field of SNIPING.

Snipers aren't just your run of the mill soldier, while it might seem like we're hiding or cowardly, we're the ones saving your ass while you're running away or storming an enemy position. A sniper can successfully stay in one spot and get up to 100 kills (how?) easily, provided you have the experience, position, and know how.

THE BASICS - First off, if you've been in a position for awhile and people start firing back at you. It's time to re-locate. It's not a good idea to get up and run away, instead crawl back enough to where someone can't shoot you, get far enough away when no one is paying attention and find another spot. The key is to always keep moving. You usually don't want to stay in a spot too long unless it's good enough to not get caught, which most of the time you will eventually.

KNOW YOUR MAPS - Practice in single player or on servers where nobody is on, find the spots those secret little hideaways where you can get away with sniping and no one will know.

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT - It's also a good idea to get with a buddy and just practice some distance shooting. If you're across the map, it's a very good idea to practice. When you're just far enough to barely see the enemy user color that's a good start. The sniper weapon is not exactly dead on, so at this far of a distance you'll need to aim 1 maybe 2cm (real life cm) above the other player to hit them successfully, and it may take a few shots, but if you practice with someone you'll get it down.

I've gotten head shots from the crane on the Gulf of Oman level at settings of 90% view distance, and all I could see was a tip of someone's head hiding behind the sign on top of the hotel building. It takes 2-3 shots sometimes less with good aiming. The more advanced unlockable U.S sniper weapon is much more powerful and the aiming is slightly better, so you need not aim as high with the regular sniper rifle from great distances.

BEING THE SPOTTER - Just because you're a sniper, doesn't mean your only job is killing people. Most of the time you're in a higher, more observable view than the rest of your teammates. If you spot ANYTHING, troops, moving vehicles, and snipers especially. Learn to quickly "spot" your enemy for your troops. They rely on you telling them where the action is when they can't see what you can. If I scope a sniper I'll quickly "spot" him before I start shooting at him. With my experience 90% of the time you see another sniper, by the time you start shooting back you're already dead with an experienced enemy. However, if you use the "spot first shoot later" method, you'll at least have notified EVERYONE on the map where he is, and he'll get killed usually just as soon as you get killed yourself. After awhile you can quickly notify people on the fly, so fast that you can get shots off and kill your enemy before they kill you if you've been spotted by another sniper.

YOUR RIFLE IS NOT YOUR ONLY CHOICE - Remember a sniper is usually on his own. You will have no help unless a commander drops supplies for you. EVERY single weapon the sniper has can be utilized to it's full potential. Whether you believe it or not, the pistol you carry is VITAL for your survival (agree 100%). . Picture this...I'm on the top of a building, and I've used up all of my rounds, I have a knife, mines, pistol, and grenades left. I've already used grenades on some passing vehicles, I use the rest as morters and throw them as far as I can, tyring to hit people. When those run out, you have nothing left but your pistol and mines. I carefully aim with my pistol and start taking my shots...At about 200 yards...yes it seems impossible but believe it or not you CAN snipe with this weapon (definetly) . If you use the closeup view it's actually harder to hit someone far off (at least in my experience) i've sucessfully sniped 21 people in one round using my pistol in combat. Most of the time, the target will believe he's being fired on by a sniper and try to hide, but if you're still in the high hideaway position you can clearly see him. If you use the aiming techniques I told you about in the practice section, you can easily kill alot of people.

The handgun has plenty of bullets so if you get discouraged because you're running low, don't. You don't need to waste your shots, pick and choose your targets carefully. Even if it might not seem like you're hitting them, you ARE. Remember with the handgun you can't tell whether you're hitting them or not, but if you've learned the technique you can easily pick them off from great distances. I've been at least 5 blocks away and selectively sniped snipers (with full ammo) climbing ladders, or actually trying to snipe me from their position. The handgun can be your best friend in dire needs, so learn to use it well.

CLAYMORE MINES - Believe it or not, these can be your best friend too. When you get to a building with alot of ladders or someplace similar, lay claymores at the base, and at the top of the ladder to avoid people sneaking up to you while you're sniping. While you may kill a teammate or two, it's usually worth the 15-40 kills you can get by staying in one position. Defending your position is vital to the way a sniper plays. Remember to keep the claymores at the top of the ladder out of sight, but not too far so they won't skip over them when they get to the top. You also need to turn around and check to see if they're still there every once in a while too. It's VERY IMPORTANT to remember that once you drop claymores in this fashion, if you need ammo or health, there will be NO-ONE that can come help you unless the claymores are destroyed. So be prepared to use your ammo wisely. (I'd use to use them when I 1st started but I rarely use them now becuase of the TK punishes)

QUICK BUTTONS - If you're still using the mouse to select your weapon you need to stop. Your easiest and quickest asset is your number keys. Number keys 1-5 change to whatever weapon is in that position in your inventory. This is useful for on the fly combat. If you're sniping and you have someone running up to you, you don't have time to use the mouse. Quick key #3 and unload a handgun clip into them. Don't even try to use your sniper rifle, because 90% of the time it won't work. All but the Chinese sniper rifle are slow loading turds when it comes to close combat so don't even bother. If you have to drop some grenades before you get killed at least you might take out some of them with you.

MOVING TARGETS - If you see some moving targets and start taking shots don't even try it if they're jumping, you're wasting precious bullets. Sometimes you can get lucky with "jumpers" but more often than not you'll end up wasting rounds. If your target is just plain out running, aim 2 human thumb spaces ahead of the target and pick your shots. Remember on moving targets you have to basically guestimate where their next move is going to be. This is no easy task, but as I've mentioned before practice with a buddy will always make perfect later.

BUDDYING UP - Is NOT a good idea. Anymore than two snipers in one spot can be a very bad idea. If i'm close to another sniper on my side I'll be at least 20-50ft away. That way if one of us gets hit the other stays and fights. Never get beside a sniper. ESPECIALLY an experienced one. The worst thing you can do is give away someone else position. (ie don't invite snipers to join squads)

TEAM SNIPER BASE RAPING - There is one thing I CAN help you with if you're gonna be buddying up with another sniper. CROSSFIRE. You have to love this technique. Usually you'll want to be in a hilly map, if you both take a side one person goes east, one person goes west, gets in a position directly across from one another, you can easily take enemy bases in a heartbeat, just rain all your ammo down upon the enemy in crossfire fashion. If one of you takes a hit the other will usually still be there picking them off.

QUICK TIPS - Last but not least, quick tips. Some you know, some others you might not.

- Head Shots. Always take head shots over anything else. They'll go down quick and easy.

- With the unlockable sniper weapon you can shoot through glass windows of helicopters to bring them down. Make those head shots count on pilots, this might be an extreme agressive act, but it's effective in every way. (but other then this one feature I'd found that the 50cal is very limited since it doesn't kill with one shot any better then the other sniper rifles)

- If you hold down the button after you've fired, you'll reload without taking away your aim. Make sure to do this every time you fire.

- Don't shoot at anything that moves. Your enemy is more likely to stop or slow down for some reason, wait until then if you can. Otherwise you'll give away your position or your ammo."

also I may add is that other then the enemy sniper being your worst enemy, the other sides medic is the snipers worst headache. Not that they are any way a danger to you at distance but they can fustrate you with their instant healing abilities. Since most sniper shots dont kill with 1 or even 2 shots, a medic can patch your intended victim faster then you can shot him in some cases. This will waste a lot of ammo for a sniper. It may not be sporting, but other then the enemy snipers, take out medics if you see them 1st. These are just some of the basics, there are many other things that you as sniper can do to make you more effective, but then those are the trade secrets and If I tell then I will get kill... :D

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some personal preferences in sniper rifles

USMC M24

Very good long range weapon. Good 1st hit prob. The sights have medium thick cross hairs so it reasonable for lining up targets at range. Since it is bolt action its slow rate of fire can be a handicap if the enemy is close. Limited ammo supply. Headshots can be a norm if you get good with this rifle. My personal fave sniper rifle.

MEC SVD

Very good rifle at medium range. Fast firing and as a last ditch can be used to take down rushing enemies due to it relatively fast rate of fire for a snipers gun even when scoped. Does decent damage with each round. Scope has medium thick sight hairs and makes it almost as good as the M24 for range sighting. Thats after you getting use to the russian type sights (^). Very good ammo supply. Good way to use this weapon if not head hunting since two quick shots and most targets are down. There is a trick (glitch?), sometimes if you tap the fire button quick, 2 quick rounds are sent out almost at the same time and they will double tap the target for a quick kill.

Chinese Type 88

My least fave rifle. Has the best sights since the cross hairs are very thin so makes sighting easier. Least amount of magnification which limits its accurate long range shooting. The round is very small and unless you score a head shot then expect to use a 1/2 clip to take a vested/armored target down. Has a good rate of fire being a semi auto. Its major handicap is the small amount of the damage it does with each round and its short engagement range. To be effective you have to be close to the target and aim for the head but thats where you don't want to be being a sniper, close. Good ammo supply. But then you feel like you are using a BB gun to snipe with.

M95 the "50 Cal"

Very good damage when you hit, but thats where the problem seem to be, hitting anything at range. The sights are thick, thus it makes lining up targets at any range can be an issue. Main claim to fame is its ability to shoot helo crews from the attack choppers. Limited ammo. Also too under power in BF2. Its seems when you hit somebody anywhere other then the head, its still takes at least 2 rounds to get a kill with this canon of sniper rifles.

Justs some personal observations. Others would have their own faves.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've yet to see a sniper really do much for a team. Don't even see them getting all that many points. Hate to say it but I have little respect for players that constantly go sniper other than in certain rare situations. To me it says 'screw the team, I just want points.

-Trouble

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
I've yet to see a sniper really do much for a team. Don't even see them getting all that many points. Hate to say it but I have little respect for players that constantly go sniper other than in certain rare situations. To me it says 'screw the team, I just want points.

-Trouble
Well diff's of opion here. Snipers dont get many points since in many cases they have limited ammo and with the damage model in BF2 where it take 2 rounds to kill means that, for example, as a USMC sniper you will average 15 kills (30 rounds) if you are good and little more if you can get head shots. If a Sniper type player really wants points there are a lot more easier method to do so in BF2 then being a sniper. I find most of the people that complain about snipers are from the run and shoot (spray) school of FPS. Snipers are not team players by nature. They do (I do anyway) spot enemy units when ever they can. Snipers don't servive in a team environment since their whole existance depends on not being seen. They are murders by how they choose to kill. They kill without a thought about what is fair or not and will back shoot when and where ever they can. They don't give any opponent a chance at fair play since thats not how snipers work. So snipers are not "team" players by your definition, your right, but don't cut them because you don't think they add to game play or help a team. When there are good snipers around it might make the other side a little more hestitant on sitting on the TOW/AA/Machine gun emplacement or in mounted gun position too long. Snipers have a role as every other class in BF2. Respect or not they are in almost all FPS games for a reason.

EDIT: in a lot of cases "squad" players don't even know that the sniper have save their ass's.

OFF soap box.... :D

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I was waiting for you to chime in Tinker :) Like you said, they are in most military based FPS's for a reason. I think that reason is that many players like to play that character because they want to feel godlike and smite from a distance. It's a feeling of empowerment. It's in our genes to some extent. I am very confident that 99% of all the snipers in BF2 really just want the sniper rifles to be a 1 shot kill that's almost impossible to miss. Like an auto aim AWP..that only THEY have. Now of course if the other classes' weapons were upgraded as well, or something particularly devastating to snipers came out, the snipers would ***** to high heaven. Again, in some situations like up in those buildings under construction on whatever the map is, snipers are useful but then you get mired down with 80% of the team sniping on defense and a good assault force pops in, grabs the flag and moves on, making it amount to little. I have no issue with people sniping in and of itself but I've yet to get much (if any!) assistance meeting an objective from a sniper....And it's just great seeing your SL sniping from 1000 yards from a flag you gotta cap and there's no place else to get in so you spawn in and make the long march towards the flag while he offers nothing for cover. They just do not seem to have strategic importance in BF2.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just some instances where the sniper (I) have help and the team didnt even know it.

1)the enemy's sniper suddenly stop firing...dead

2)the enemy's spec ops hiding behind the wall to detinate the C4 around the flag as the freindlies approach...dead

3)the mounted machingunner that is attackin/guarding the flag...dead

4)the enemy flag tuns, well away from the action

5) the TOW/AA/machinegunner guy...dead

6)the enemy sighting calls

7) the enemy squad that is flanking/rushing suddenly stops so to revive/heal members.

8) the AT that is hiding to nail the armor that is approaching...dead

I can go on and on where a sniper has help their side and dont get credit or reconogition for their actions because most of it is done in way that is not obvious to other players. As a sniper I can tell when other snipers are good and doing a good job or not in the game. I can look at the kill info displayed and can tell when its a sniper kill by the rifle type (or just the sound) or if its a clay. Also by the final tally at the end , I look for kill vs deaths and if the a player that only have ~0-4 death then nornmally is a sniper or a pilot.

EDIT:There are many ways to take the edge off sniping. BF2 does it by the damage model and accuracy of the weapons. The sights on all the BF2 sniper rifles with the exception of the chineses one are relatively thich so laying hairs on a long range shot is determined by the fudge factor of the thick sights. In Joint Ops Nova has very good sights and norm 1 shot 1 kill but they make it that the longer you have scope zoomed more shake the sight gets to sim body motion. So the sniper rifles in BF2 are already handicapped. In BFV the rifles where a lot more effective.

EDIT2: in real the snipers are there to interdict enemy action, be it offensive or defensive in nature. Thus causing the enmy to alter their plan actions to deal with a sniper problem. Many operations come to halt when snipers come into play and resources are used to fix the problem before planned actions can continue. If a sniper is doing the job right in BF2 then the enemy should be annoy and pissed.

EDIT3: what I want is 300giga watt plasma rifle with a zoomable 40x scope....ooops wrong game... :D

EDIT4: yes snipers are not strategic assests but are tactical assest.

My major satisfaction being a sniper in BF2 is at the end of a map cycle, I gotten some kills , help the side some what and zero death.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Also the sniper is good for defend flags. After you turn a flag cover it with C4 and skedaddle. When the enemy returns to the flag they get blown up.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
You make a great point about covering the commander's assets from spec ops...Hadn't thought about that one...PERFECT job for a sniper!

-Trouble
That's absolutely true but in some ways it's a waste of manpower.

In some games you have snipers, guys flying in jets, etc and they aren't really contributing to the main goal of the game which is to conquer.

I'm not saying a sniper isn't imortant but basic manpower and infantry can be equally important.

This game works best when there's a good commander, everyone is in squads, and everyone works together following orders for a common objective.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
This game works best when there's a good commander, everyone is in squads, and everyone works together following orders for a common objective.
This is true, but very impractical and hard to organize. One person's view of the common objective might not be why the other guy is playing. For example, I may be a part of a squad and decide I need to C4 the other team's arty. Meanwhile, our squad leader drops out, unknowingly putting me in charge of the squad. Suddenly everyone is spawning on me, miles away from the battle. So I drop out of the squad, but I can't request for resupply on C4. So I have to form a locked Spec Ops squad so I can talk to the commander. Meanwhile, the Commander probably doesn't know what I'm doing and is sending me orders to attack a flag. Maybe this server doesn't have VOIP working properly and I can't tell him this.

The point is, it can be a mess and everyone plays a part, but it's hard for everyone (including the commander) to know what everyone else's role is. The game would work best if all players were in the same room and planned each battle as it loaded, but of course that's not reality for most people. If the entire team was on TeamSpeak it could work pretty well, but again, few people use TeamSpeak.

So I guess right now we are stuck with a fun game that has a lot of different styles of play, and different strategies and approaches to a common goal.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes squads (if you like to be socialable :D ), but for certain classes, squads don't work, Snipers, Spec Ops and Jet/attack helo pilots. All the other classes can work well in squads. The loner types are in the game for what they provide to the game regardless how their usefulness is interpreted by others. By nature the loner class players are just that, loners. They don't work or survive in a squad environment just by how they are suppose to function. People that can not play well as one of "any" of the classes are usually the ones that complain about them. I can not fly for crap in BF2 and I hate the jet/helo pilots since there is very little a grunt can do to take the them down and I swear everytime I get killed by them, but then I know they do have a function. Yes I agree if when most of the players turn sniper (or any one class) then the game is crap since nothing happens and in the case of snipers it turns into a shooting range session. But then that normally don't happen because "sniper haters" will play the other classes :D . I disagree that a sniper is a waste of manpower. As I mention before a lot of what a sniper does is not really apparent to most other players since the actions are done mostly in the background. The sniper/spec ops/pilot provides a lot of support and in most cases the squads don't know what these groups are doing or done. One good thing about being a sniper, you tend to see the flow of battle from a very good vantage point. I can see what the pilot do, that just bomb the enemy flag where an enemy group is forming. The Spec Ops that just taken the arty or command trailer down. Most squads don't see stuff like this. They just see the flag as their main (only?) objective.

Just some personal experiences playing on public ranked servers (with strangers). Most games that I played when I joined squads (esp as a sniper) I get killed a lot more esp when I follow orders. I mainly join squads now as medic or Support and eng if in a blackhawk. In most cases squad leaders don't have a clue as to what good orders are and/or what to do. They tell you to go there and then there and then take that flag. I found some hang back as all the members rush into do the dirty work and then they would come in after to clean up. They are in suppose to be in command and that you can respawn on them when you die so they hang back... :rolleyes:. I seen a few very effective squads with 2-4 armor and with a good mix of classes and they just dominated the map moving from one flag to another. Not saying squads are bad, just from my experience and on my preferred style of play, squads are not what I want to be in, with some exceptions. Thats just a personal preference. I quess what I find objectionable is the implied criticism/innuendo about the sniper class that they have no value and shouldn't be playing in BF2 since its a "squad" based game (since they don't normally join squads). But then its just me, a confirn life long camper :D :D :D .

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ
This is true, but very impractical and hard to organize. One person's view of the common objective might not be why the other guy is playing. For example, I may be a part of a squad and decide I need to C4 the other team's arty. Meanwhile, our squad leader drops out, unknowingly putting me in charge of the squad. Suddenly everyone is spawning on me, miles away from the battle. So I drop out of the squad, but I can't request for resupply on C4. So I have to form a locked Spec Ops squad so I can talk to the commander. Meanwhile, the Commander probably doesn't know what I'm doing and is sending me orders to attack a flag. Maybe this server doesn't have VOIP working properly and I can't tell him this.

The point is, it can be a mess and everyone plays a part, but it's hard for everyone (including the commander) to know what everyone else's role is. The game would work best if all players were in the same room and planned each battle as it loaded, but of course that's not reality for most people. If the entire team was on TeamSpeak it could work pretty well, but again, few people use TeamSpeak.

So I guess right now we are stuck with a fun game that has a lot of different styles of play, and different strategies and approaches to a common goal.
Agreed, and I should have included Teamspeak and communication. It's not a perfect world but I have found when all is follwed the chances of success are much higher.

I also realize there will be Rambo's among us and their contributions are noted but a lot of what rogue guys do does not help the team and in some cases hurts them too. Last night there was a rogue guy running around planting C4 everywhere and killing his team mates too which results in negative points for him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.