AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a center channel below my 110" screen and at times it can appear that the sound is coming from below the screen instead of from the actors mouths (not incredibly annoying but I can notice it at times). So have been thinking, could I just add a second center channel above the screen? Would this change the sound image to "appear" more centered on the screen? Has anyone tried this? I am not even sure I can do it, with out remounting my screen, due to the screen placement being so close to the ceiling and the depth of the Stewart frame, but I figured it was worth soliciting comment.

Thoughts?

Brian

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Brian,

I was having the same thoughts a year ago about a 120' screen. Check out what my two speaker layout is here. http://www.geocities.com/tryghoff/HTEQUIPMENT.html

Now first off my regular center wasn't cutting the mustard.

So I decided to take two speakers and "spread out" the sound and the result have been fabulous. Never again will I go back to a single center channel speaker. wimpy! especially since so much audio information is relayed to the listener via this channel. In fact I wish the center channel was stereo or simulated stereo from the reciever!

My original idea was to put one up top and one on the bottom, but temporarily I just put both on bottom (4 feet apart) and wow! I was perfectly satisfied. Warmth, seperation, and the spacial orientation you're looking for. So I never persued putting one up top.

Of course I sit 16 feet from the screen so that wasn't such an issue for me.

I did have to make a 6ohm speaker(out of two regular paradigm titans) by diconnecting one of the tweeters and wiring them together.

------------------

Tryg Hoff

[This message has been edited by Tryg (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
27,211 Posts
If you feel the need for two center speakers, placing them in the on top and on bottom would probably be best (though experiment).

1) If atop of each other (above & below the screen), theoretically the lobing patterns (off axis freq. response) would be pretty close to equal.That is good. However, if the speakers are at two different distances to ones head (ears), there could be a delay as the one speaker's sound reaches the ears before the others. That is bad.

Having both speakers apart from each other EITHER atop OR below the screen would give similar lobing problems from any seating position (not to mention phantom imaging across the front soundstage would be escew with two centers.

However, try both. No harm in that.

I've found that as I upgrade each speaker system to better and better speaker systems, the higher the quality, the better the image at center (my center rests below the screen, also).

As a matter of fact, Meridian's center speakers can digitally enhance the center speaker to sound more like it is behind the screen. That's a solution!

Perhaps try two speakers but my recommendation would be to double your budget on one higher quality center speaker.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by thebland (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
505 Posts
I use two titans for the center channel also. I will try spreading them out and see how it goes.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

This is interesting. I have always assumed that he interference problems from two center speakers would negate the value of additional drivers. I guess I got this idea from something I read years ago when my first receiver had two center outputs. I look forward to your reports. Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.