AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am on the verge of installing my Middle Atlantic rack using two RRF45 rails and am having doubts if two studs can really hold up an entire rack. What would the weight limit be on something like this? I have a 100lb amp among other much lighter items but am probably wanting at least 300lb protection. Any help, advice or reassurances would be great.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
What is the design of your rack? Just two rails screwed out through the sides into studs?

In compression, two studs can definitely hold 300 lbs. The vertical weight isn't going to be a problem. The only problems I can see would be caused by the torque of the various shelves trying to lean your rack back, and bend your studs back out into the attic or whatever.

The steel rails should be able to take the local torque of any given shelf. Make sure your rails are well secured to your studs (bolts through the studs would be nice if your wall is open), but I don't see the rails bending.

The next issue is the whole rack trying to tilt the studs backwards. What is holding the studs to the top/bottom plates of the wall? It's probably a few nails or maybe a steel plate. If you are concerned, that's another place I'd reinforce. You'd be concerned with the top of the studs pushing backwards into the wall, or the bottom of the studs working their way forward.

In general, I wouldn't worry about it. If your rails are well secured to the studs, you should be fine. Overkill is cheap if your walls are open and you feel like reinforcing, however. Adding two more studs to the outside of the current ones will likely cost you $7 and some nails.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanical or structural engineer, just another general engineer type with enough common sense and physics to be dangerous).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts