AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation:

I have a wall of built-in cabinets that has a large open space in the middle where I want to mount the TV. However, the back of that space is a solid piece of 3/4" MDF about 6" out from the actual wall and with no studs behind it.

The sheet of MDF isn't going anywhere as all the edges are mounted behind all the cabinetry, but I don't know enough about MDF to know if it can support a 65", 106lb TV with an articulating wall mount (63lbs) that extends out up to 26". (EDITED: 106lb TV and 63lb mount)

I can pull on the MDF from the hole for the power outlet and it feels very strong, but I don't want to risk the TV before I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If you were going to use a regular mount with the TV close to the MDF, I think you could get away with it. I think you are asking for trouble with an articulating mount. It will create a strong bending moment, and MDF cannot handle much bending stress.

IIWY I would find the studs behind the cabinet and secure the mount to them, directly or via boards or plywood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that the wall with the studs is 4"-6" behind the MDF (there's a gap) and there's no way to get there without cutting out a big hole in the MDF (making it weaker in the process).

·
Registered
742 Posts
What is the MDF currently supporting that won't allow you to cut a hole in it? I'm thinking cutting the whole piece of MDF out, filling the 6" gap with material and making it seem like a really deep cabinet with stud access.

Edit: That's got to be a sweet looking TV btw!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.