AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 450mhz PC with 128mb ram. It has ethernet. I don't want to output anything from this PC. I would like to store videos and it and then stream via ethernet to various locations in the house. I have an xbox and a connected DVD player that can both stream. Will the lack of horsepower matter? ..or are the only limitations the speed of the ethernet connection?

THANKS!

·
Registered
137 Posts
My old P3 550 with 256mb ram does just fine. Can serve 3 ape audio streams and a DVD, while taking care of the internet gateway, simultaneously, OK using XP Pro. Set the system/advanced/performance/advanced for background services and system cache and you should be just fine. I suggest you add some ram to it, though. Fortunately, PC100 ram is very cheap. Tweak it for performance and strip everything you can from it.

Richard

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I have my media server running on a P2 400, 512M Ram, XPPro, ethernet, a vary basic video card and 4 160G 7200 rpm drives. Serves both music and DVD's and I do my ripping to the HD on that machine. Work great!!

Terry

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I was about to spend some money on a new computer. Now, I can use the really old unused one and spend my money on a couple of HDs instead. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.