AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing alot of reading in this forum and my ideal projector isn't clear in my mind, yet. It seems Crt have clearly the lead in it's black rendition but I really like the portable practicality of the lightfeader weight of the DLP pj. My livingroom is so small :(

But I'am trying to find a bargain for my first projector and lately eBay has kept me dreaming of that day when I will do the jump!

Yesterday, I found this PJ on eBay and the guy did a good job of showing screenshots of this Sony VPH-1251Q. His auction ended below 600$!

Looking at the screenshots he provided, I was amazed on how beaituful a picture can be with a CRT. In fact I wondered if such image he shot is reasonnable to think that it can be produce by a 600$ 7" tube crt. Is this possible? Can such good picture be obtained with a 600$ CRT?

He told me he used a Canon Pro90IS digicam and a DaLite Model B 16:9, 92" screen with this pj for the photoshoot. Seems like a DVD source was used but can not confirm it.

So take a look if you want and tell me if it's a killing picture and if a 600 buck PJ no matter DLP or CRT can produce such a nice picture at that ridiculous price?

Thanks

Here is the auction in question:
eBay auction of Sony's 7" tube PJ

Screenshots:
Shrek

Driven

Bug's Life

Gladiator

Is this burn/wear on the first tube on the left?
Tube wear?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yeah, that definately looks like wear on the blue phosphor. You can't really tell from the images because he probably had the raster only covering the worn area of the blue. On my 1031Qs I use a wide raster so slight wear is evident by the fact that the colors aren't uniform compared between the edges and the center of the picture. For under $600 that looked to be an incredible deal! I got my 5.5" CRT 1031Qs for around $500. One had a badly worn blue that I got replaced for $330 and the other one was fine. CRTs are rather large beasts but having less light output than digital units I'd argue that they are better suited to smaller rooms (but not closets!).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wow! Beautiful screenshots.

Yes, on a 92" screen, a 1252 can be that good ... though I must say that this fellow selling it could probably make a good living setting up CRT's; he's done a fabulous job!

Yes, that is a bit of 4x3 wear on the blue tube. At 5500 hours, that's no surprise.

$580 ???? That's a STEAL! I'd rather have a 1272 for the 21-point convergence, but at that price ... sheesh ... I hope that you were the winning bidder.

Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MYoung:

That's what I thought WOW I want that kind of picture even with the visible tube wear... Been stuck with a 20 inch for the last 3 years and can't stand it no more!!! No, I wasn't the highest bidder in that auction... missed it! :(

Quote:
CRTs are rather large beasts but having less light output than digital units I'd argue that they are better suited to smaller rooms (but not closets!).
My living room is 14x12' and I'am in the basement with small and few windows. CRT would take a humongous space and the noise would be unbearable unless I put an "igloo" on top of it... That's why CRT is less practical but I was amazed of the PQ those screenshots gave.

But 7" tubes are not enough, I've read to hook it up to my DTC-100 you need 8" for HDTV... m'still undecided and a bit confused also... still searching for a "source of water" in that "desert" of electronincs...

I'll keep reading and dreaming.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I actually traded e-mails with the person selling that PJ. He is actually a member of this forum. I commended him on teh outstanding picture his 1251 produces and asked him for some insight. He told me that he works in teh Av business and learned how to calibrate basically by reading this forum. I can only hope to be that good one day!

Anyways, he seemed honest enough. I believe they are TRUE pictures from his unit (which was fed by only a progressive scan DVD player - no line doubler).

John

·
Registered
380 Posts
A linedoubler makes an an interlaced picture progressive ex. 480i to 480p. A progressive DVD outputs 480p so a progressive player would be a player with it own douling.

The DVD will not do anything for your TV though that will still be 480i, but a doubler can take a 480i to 480p.

To answer you question once more. A CRT can look that good. Take into consideration that projector was on the low end. It looks even better in real. It also beat most digitals. A CRT has no rainbows, great colors, huge contrast.

7" cannot fully resolve HDTV, but it will still look good.

Find a Sony VPH 1252 or 1272 or Barco 800, 801, 801s are the same league. Both 1252, 1272 and the 801s are using the same picture tube. Sony 07 MSP. Barco calls it an 8"

·
Registered
290 Posts
I used a 1272 (essentially a 1252 with upgraded firmware) with my DTC-100 and HTPC happily for about a year and a half.

Don't let anybody tell you you "can't".

The truth of the matter is that a good 9" CRT is required to "fully resolve" HDTV ... but what that really means is "resolve it so well that the display isn't the limiting factor".

It does NOT mean that a 7" unit won't resolve it really, really, REALLY beautifully and enjoyably.

I only upgraded my 1272 to a 1292 because I'm using an absurdly large 139" wide screen, and wanted more brightness.

Paul

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
But 7" tubes are not enough, I've read to hook it up to my DTC-100 you need 8" for HDTV
Wrong. I have been using a DTC-100 and a NEC 6PG Plus CRT projector which has 7" tubes in it for a couple of years with great success. I too have some screen shots showing my 7" CRT in action. They can be found by clicking on the link below my sig.

This screenshot is from the DVD Courage under Fire, and was taken 12 feet away from the screen using my horrible Kodak 1.2 megapixel camera. I took the picture at rez of 640x480. Again, these images don't look even 1/10th as good as they do in person...

http://www.digitaltheater.com/pictur...ges/dman13.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DMan

It really looks good too. So you have a DTC-100 and a 7" PJ.

Have you ever taken a screenshot with an HDTV feed from the DTC?

I know now that image is great also with 7" tubes but to take full advantage of an HDTV feed I heard 9" does a better job.

Me I'am just wondering for a DTC-100 what is the cheapest bang for the buck in all this plethora of equipment out there and taking into consideration, my room is very small.

My philosophy of life is the following:

For my first projector I wanna act like it was my first car. I want it used and by the time I learn to calibrate with this forum, I will be ready for the next gen of CRT or DLP that will be outhere... so I definitely wanna go with a used one for starter. I know they are best buys and I always watch for eBay's and trying to be very careful of the equipment available on that website.

I would either go CRT or DLP... sorry D-ILA... can't stand the screen door effect... but rainbows and grey blacks is something I could always tolerate if it gives me the ability to view HDTV material in the best possible picture.

But certainly by far this forum is a constant learning process for me and the best source for me to try to guide me for my first smartest choice.

Am' all ears as always ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
John,

A 1272 or 1252 will be great for your needs. You might even find that you have no reason to upgrade later.

BTW, while DVD's played through an HTPC looked great on mine, HDTV from the DTC-100 looked about twice as good; much sharper and more detail.

Paul

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Have you ever taken a screenshot with an HDTV feed from the DTC?
No, because with HDTV I cannot pause the image to take the screenshot so it would end up looking like a blurry mess from the motion. Suffice to say though that HDTV looks quite a bit better than DVD (more detail, better colors, better sharpness).

Sure as you get larger in tube size you can achieve more brightness and more resolution, but it's also going to be more expensive.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
I know now that image is great also with 7" tubes but to take full advantage of an HDTV feed I heard 9" does a better job.
A 9" CRT projector is the only readily available front projection system that will fully resolve every single pixel of a 1920x1080 HDTV image, so yes it is better in that regard.

However, a 7" and 8" projector can still display an HDTV image with wonderful results. Your likely to get 80%-90% the image quality of a 9" CRT with a 7" or 8" CRT projector. Don't get hung up on fully "resolving" an HDTV signal with only a 9" CRT projector.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I also use a DTC-100 with my NEC PG9, and I am VERY, VERY happy with the picture it brings me. In my opinion, unless you are super critical, a good 7" unit will give one hell of a bang for the buck. Sure, if I run across a 9" PJ at a good price, I'd bite. But considering my experiences with the NEC's, it would HAVE to be at a really good price. Like someone else here puts it: It's not how big your CRT's are, it's how well you tune them.

Of course.... if I am ever in Atlanta, I'd HAVE to look at DMan's incredible setup. I am certain that pictures could never do it justice.

Marc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.