AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can A $99 Personal Server Stop Google?

No it can't. It doesn't want to either and that's good for all of us. Several small companies are using Marvell's SheevaPlug, a computer the size of a wall plug, to build personal servers that give you the benefits of remote file and information access without the creepiness, perceived or valid, of hosted cloud services. The TonidoPlug sells for $99 dollars and plugs in beside your home router. It runs a custom suite of applications on top of a embedded Ubuntu Linux OS that allow you to host photo albums, music jukeboxes, personal blogs, money management, calendars or file sharing all available online through your browser or locally with complete control over who has access to what and nothing is ever stored in the clouds. Google Docs, Facebook and Flcker are free services but the aren't charities and the information you give them never goes away. Everyone has their own line of what they are comfortable with and products like the TonidoPlug give you an alternative.

For links and more stories visit the Hot Stories section at HomeToys.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
For more info just google Tonido or goto their site, "Tonido . com"

There are reviews @ CNet, ZDNet and a zillion other sites

It IS a server / NAS usung "your" External Hard Drive.

Once you buy the "Plug" you never pay anything else.

Sharing with Family and my Privacy is what got my interest.

Once setup it doesn't even need a PC. It has a CPU and memory built in the plug.

This is a Cool devise. I just ordered it myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
These are based on the sheevaplug, more info here: openplug.org

I own a sheevaplug and it rocks! 5 watts, runs linux, SSD/USB/ethernet, new ones coming out soon with eSATA, 2GHz CPU, wifi/bluetooth, etc...

The tonido is simply one of these with software preinstalled to do all that fancy media sharing.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
prolific,

Can one use a Sheevaplug just like a low-end linux box? Specifically I was wondering whether there are limitations as to what software one can install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts