AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would this material be ok to mount on a home made frame? is it "stretchy" at all? my only reference is pearlbrite which has a consistancy close to electrical tape!! (ok, not quite...)

would i be better to order the fabric or order a model b or c and cut it?

if frame mounting is ok, has anyone done it before and how did you make your frame? my last screen was a torus....so i'm up for the challenge.

or would i be best to just go for the roll up???

thanks!

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The Hi Power is a very "rigid" fabric in terms of stretching. In other words...it doesn't.
That being said, it is still easy to work with if you take your time. One thing to note...HP by the square foot is nearly $16. If you buy it in a manual screen an cut it out, it is less than 1/2. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was wondering the same thing and looking for opinion and tips from people who have done this. The model b is almost half the price of the perma-wall model.

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a stewart frame and would like to use the High power fabric. My frame has snaps. Can I purchase snaps and install them onto the High power fabric and snap it into place on the Stewart frame.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfunnybones /forum/post/15092896

I have a stewart frame and would like to use the High power fabric. My frame has snaps. Can I purchase snaps and install them onto the High power fabric and snap it into place on the Stewart frame.

Yes that can be done, but you need to be exact with your measurements. High Power fabric does not stretch, so one mistake and you have a problem.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
the secret of High power material is that is cheaper to buy a pulldown HP screen and rip out of the material for your own use than to buy the material by itself. Thats only true for the HP

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Since the HP material couldn't be stretched, I used a flat piece of plywood flooring and a spray adhesive to mount the material. Whatever you do, use white gloves when handling the material as it picks up oils and dirt from your hands real easy...luckily if found this out working with samples.

If I were to do this over, I would make sure the surface I was adhering to was smooth. I just used the straight up plywood and when the material was mounted it showed every flaw in the wood. Due to the lack bright room light you can't see it and it's not visible when watching a movie. Overall I'm REAL happy with the way it turned out.

It can be done, just be very careful and patient...good luck!

Warren

·
Registered
43 Posts
OK so I went ahead with this project. Got the da-lite HP model B 106".

I made a simple frame out of poplar then wrapped it with velvetier. I attached the 4 corners using L brackets.

I then attached the screen using window screen rails as suggested in another thread.

Overall I did a quick job that was nowhere near perfect with less than acceptable tension and the final product still looks great! really nice screen and it's easy to work with.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaltech /forum/post/15138672

OK so I went ahead with this project. Got the da-lite HP model B 106".

I made a simple frame out of poplar then wrapped it with velvetier. I attached the 4 corners using L brackets.
I then attached the screen using window screen rails as suggested in another thread.

Overall I did a quick job that was nowhere near perfect with less than acceptable tension and the final product still looks great! really nice screen and it's easy to work with.

Are you talking about what people use for screened porches? Like this stuff:

http://www.screentight.com/pdf/ST-in...tion-sheet.pdf

If not, do you have a link to the thread that details this process?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts