AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use a diplexor(an RCA diplexor used for Directv. One satellite and one antenna in, and then the one out) to connect two antenna's?

Mainly so I can point two antennas in opposite directions for digital/HD sinals, and then combine the signals into one for the RF input on a 4200A(A/B selector actually)

Is this possible, or will it not work? The ability to receive signals from two different antenna sources and combine it into one cable.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
No. The sat input on the diplexer is for satellite frequencies only which are above OTA and cableTV spectra. A splitter can be used as an antenna combiner but can cause interference. An A/B switch is the safest easiest method. If you really need a setup and forget it combination, post the actual channel numbers desired for each antenna and somebody better versed in jointenna or notch filter use may better provide assistance.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since this seems to be the case, I'll just return the diplexer to BB.

GREYWOLF,

You seem to know alot about this so I will pose this question to you.

I am currently using an RCA amplified indoor antenna(connected to an LG LST-4200A via an a/b selector for cable(clear QAM) and antenna for OTA). Nothing fancy. You could get one at Walmart or elsewhere for about $20. I receive 5 channels which are no more than 20 miles from where I live(rural environment). I can receive 3 more from almost 50 miles max away(Pittsburgh too the South) I have to move it to get optimum reception for either the close stations, and then move it again for the far away ones. I want to try to avoid this. The close ones range from 248 degrees-261 degrees due West/Southwest. The 50 mile plus ones are at 165 degrees South.

Anyway I, like you, think that any TERK product stinks. From your previous posts I get that type of feeling from your posts.

I am thinking about getting a Square Shooter, whether it is Winegard(amplified or not. Not sure?) or the Terk at BB. I am wary about getting the Terk because everytime I have in the past, I get screwed and end up having to return it anyway. I am sick of that routine, so I will probably skip that.

The Terk is rated up to 55 miles for UHF(all my stations are in UHF) stations(red on the reception ability). The model is 16"x16"x4", which I believe is the same as the Winegard in terms of Size.

I know they are meant for outdoor use, but will try it indoors first. All I want to be able to do is to be able to place the antenna in one spot and not have to move it continually.

With my crap RCA indoor, I can receive all the stations, but I get breakups. If I move the UHF part more towards the close stations the break-ups stop completely for those stations, but I lose the Pitssburgh stations completely. If I move it towards the Burgh stations, I get them back, but the close ones come in, but break up rather easily.

Would it be worth it to get a Squareshooter? My channels lie between channels 20-50 on the UHF band.

I know it is meant for the outside, but I would think I would greatly improve my reception by getting one.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
There are people much better at antenna choice than me. I'm not sure your thread title will entice more knowledgable people like AntAltMike and sregener to read it though. I do know even the Terks that work are overpriced.

I can tell you I tested a Silver Sensor and a Square Shooter side by side and the SvS did better but was more directional. Why not check the thread already running in the HDTV local Information and Reception forum to see what may already be working for people in your area? The new setup there is to limit threads to one per DMA but there is a sticky note that contains links to each area thread.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by STEELERSRULE
... I have to move it to get optimum reception for either the close stations, and then move it again for the far away ones. I want to try to avoid this. The close ones range from 248 degrees-261 degrees due West/Southwest. The 50 mile plus ones are at 165 degrees South.
Your most reliable setup would be two antennas and an A/B switch to change between the two. A Radio Shack IR Remote Controlled A/B Switch works great for this.

Below are links to two good UHF outdoor antennas. The smaller one is usually good for up to ~40 miles. The larger one for up to ~60mi or so.
CM 4221 4bay bowtie
CM 4228 8bay bowtie

You could probably install the 4bay in the attic pointed roughly at 255° and the 8bay outside, pointed at 165°.

Do not waste your time and money on any overpriced/overhyped OTA antennas sold by TERK.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the info fellas. Thanx.

arxaw,

I actually have that A/B selector switch, but it used between cable(for Clear QAM HD/Digital broadcast stations and Analog cable, and the other one for OTA antenna reception.)

My cable co.(Adelphia) doesn't carry FOX, WB, PBS, or UPN where I am at. This is what OTA antenna is for. I get NBC, CBS, and ABC via QAM and OTA(One set from the Burgh, the other OTA from Ytown, OH.)

Mainly I want the antenna for FOX out of the Burgh, and UPN, WB from Ytown ,OH.

Thanx for your help though my friend. I'll try other(re:CHEAPER :) ) solutions to start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.