AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a R22-100 DVR for DirecTV. I purchased it approximately a year ago from Best Buy. Works great, very happy with it. Two weekends ago I went out and purchased a new Sony 40Z5100. After one night of use, we decided we needed to upgrade to HD service. So I called DirecTV to inquire what was needed to be done. I pointed out that the DVR I have has HDMI out on it, and asked if they could simply activate the HD tuner in it if I got the slimline dish.

I was told by two different service reps (both of whom seemed to not really know what they were talking about) that they could not make my DVR a HD-DVR UNLESS I also ordered a non-DVR HD receiver from DirecTV. They both said that if there was already another HD box on the account they could make the R22-100 receive and record HD. I told them I have only one high definition television in the house and do not have need for more than one HD box.

This struck me as an up-selling tactic. I was told that if I only wanted a single HD-DVR in the house that it would cost me $199.

So are these two reps full of it? Can my current R22-100 become a HD-DVR?

Maybe this is answered elsewhere but I can not seem to find it.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
DirecTV's HD-capable DVRs are the HR20, HR21, HR22, and HR23. A newer, faster model (HR24) is expected in the next 60 days or so.

Of the released models, the HR20 (discontinued) is the fastest; the HR21, HR22, and HR23 are all about the same. You get whatever the installer has on hand. If you order today, you are most likely to get a HR22.

Edit: This information is out of date. As of September, DirecTV will activate HD on the R22 if you have already another HD STB or HD DVR on your account.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Actually, the experts are over at dbstalk.com, but I am 99% sure that the R22 can indeed receive and display HD programming.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ /forum/post/18151047

Actually, the experts are over at dbstalk.com, but I am 99% sure that the R22 can indeed receive and display HD programming.

You're absolutely right. My information was out of date. I should pay more attention to DBSTalk.

As of September, R22-100 can indeed be upgraded to HD. The catch is that DirecTV won't enable HD on the R22 unless you have another HD STB or HD DVR on your account with the HD Access fee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.