AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject 'bout says it all. I am very sensitive to interlace artifacts and love 720P over 1080i.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I don't know for sure, but that would be one monster mod, as it would involve going deep into the digital guts of the thing and changing everything about how it assembles the picture and outputs it. not very likely.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The modified DTC-100 from www.169time.com will allow recording of a native 720p ABC signal onto D-VHS media when firewire linked to a D-VHS VCR.

Native 720p playback can then be achieved by playing the tape back through the component output of a JVC 30K.

If played back through the DTC-100 the signal will be up-converted to 1080i.

That said, I'll betcha dollars to doughnuts that you would not reliably be able to accurately identify the native ABC 720p from the upconverted 1080i in a statistically significant manner...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there any receivers are out that let you choose?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Knight
Are there any receivers are out that let you choose?
Yes. I believe right now for DirecTV, the Zenith 1080, 520 & Sony 200 all let you choose the HD output. Some receivers also have a 'native' mode, which if your display supports 480i, 480p, 720p & 1080i, would simply pass through whatever it receives. The Dish 6000 also has these capabilities.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Sorry to bust your baloon, but the discontinued DTC-100 automatically transforms 720p right over to 1080i.:)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
Sorry....
He knows that. He asked if it can be modified.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
"I'll betcha dollars to doughnuts that you..."

Careful, Todd, some people have digital LCD monitors and some of these do not do well with displaying an interlaced video of any definition. Interlaced video was specifically invented to go well with electron beam scanning at interlaced scans. Progressive does look better on some digital monitors. Not all digital displays have problems with interlace video, just some and Mark may have a display that can't interpolate interlacing well. If he has a CRT then I'd go ahead and take that bet! :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
"I'll betcha dollars to doughnuts that you..."

If he has a CRT then I'd go ahead and take that bet! :)

Mark uses a Barco CRT with 8 inch tubes.

Offer stands...;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.