AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange but true story: Verizon FIOS sends me an HD cable box to self-install with my Panasonic plasma TV. The TV was previously working just fine. I can't get the cable box to work, so I call customer service and they reboot the box several times, cable box goes off and on--and so does the TV. Then, suddenly can't get the TV to go on again--not with the remote, not manually. I unplug everything, wait a minute, then plug back in--still nothing. Plasma is dead (and still have no idea if the cable box even works). Verizon custom service says there is nothing their testing and (re)booting of the cable box could have done to the TV. Luckily I still have a few months left on my extended warranty (this is an old 37" ED plasma bought in 2003, now using it in the bedroom).

So, just coincidence that my TV goes on the blink while installing a new cable box? Does this sound at all familiar to anyone? Not sure what to think...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Probably just a REALLY big cooincidence that your TV broke at the same time the cable box was being hooked up.... The hookups from the cable box to the TV are just inputs, they don't send any kind of signal to the TV telling it to turn on, or off..

I would say you should consider yourself lucky that your TV broke now, and you have that extended warranty. More than likely wherever you bought it from will allow you to exchange it for a current model that is similarly priced.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
is any if the leds in front of the blinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2 /forum/post/14168016

Strange but true story: Verizon FIOS sends me an HD cable box to self-install with my Panasonic plasma TV. The TV was previously working just fine. I can't get the cable box to work, so I call customer service and they reboot the box several times, cable box goes off and on--and so does the TV. Then, suddenly can't get the TV to go on again--not with the remote, not manually. I unplug everything, wait a minute, then plug back in--still nothing. Plasma is dead (and still have no idea if the cable box even works). Verizon custom service says there is nothing their testing and (re)booting of the cable box could have done to the TV. Luckily I still have a few months left on my extended warranty (this is an old 37" ED plasma bought in 2003, now using it in the bedroom).

So, just coincidence that my TV goes on the blink while installing a new cable box? Does this sound at all familiar to anyone? Not sure what to think...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo58 /forum/post/14168392

Probably just a REALLY big cooincidence that your TV broke at the same time the cable box was being hooked up.... The hookups from the cable box to the TV are just inputs, they don't send any kind of signal to the TV telling it to turn on, or off..

I would say you should consider yourself lucky that your TV broke now, and you have that extended warranty. More than likely wherever you bought it from will allow you to exchange it for a current model that is similarly priced.

The repair guy is coming on Saturday--we'll see. I'm sure they will fix it rather than replace it. Still don't even know if the cable box works, but will deal with that after the TV is repaired.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/14169791

Was the TV's AC Power Cord plugged into the Cable Box?

That's what I was going to ask.....I'm really not familiar with FiOS boxes though. (but would at least like the possibility
)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Power cord was plugged into the surge protector--and FIOS box was also plugged into the surge protector. FIOS box is the same type of motorola box as a regular cable box from Cox, etc.

No blinking lights--just stopped turning on. (A few years ago I did have the blinking lights/powering off problem, which was also fixed--thank god for that extended warranty, which I am now definitely glad I bought!).

·
Registered
909 Posts
The surge protector circut breaker didn't pop did it? Just figured I'd throw that out there. Maybe there is no power to the TV.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Our 60" Led TV worked PERFECT the night before, never turned it on in the morning. Cable guy came and set up the cable. He didnt get it working so came back later to finish. After he set it up our TV was broken. The picture completely distorted and half the TV was RED and Black. He said it was just a coincidence. He left with our TV broken and us not able to watch the cable TV he just installed. Supervisor is coming today to assess the TV. We DO still have warranty so its obvious we aren't trying to fool ANYONE here. THEY need to be responsible for this. He obviously did something wrong or the box was faulty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts