AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if its possible to use a high end notebook as an HTPC? If so, what are the minimum specs I should purchase and do I need any special DVD player or graphic's card inside?

I certainly do not have the space nor the desire to set up a dedicated PC in my HT for HTPC purposes.

However, I do need a new laptop for work. So I was thinking that if it was possible to buy one with all the latest/greatest technology, perhaps my laptop could double as a HTPC!

Considering how little I'll actually wind up using the notebook for work, it would be nice if I could use it as an HTPC since I'd get a lot more use out of it that way. But being realistic I'm thinking that in order to do a HTPC right you need the full power of a desktop.

Thanks!

·
Registered
813 Posts
You probably want to try this post over at the Home Theater Computers forum. The short answer is you can get fairly decent video quality from one of the newer laptops equipped with ATI cards in them. One of the bigger downsides is the inability to output a digital signal for audio.

Good luck !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.