AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I have been looking at Harmony remotes as I think the "Activities" approach would provide a nice simplistic user experience for my wife and kids. But before I pull the trigger on the Harmony remote, can a Home Theater Master MX700 be programmed to act in a similar manner?

Thanks

Glenn

·
Registered
220 Posts
Glenn,

Sure - you can program macros on the MX-700 for activities. Have one macro be DVD, another TV, etc., that set your system up for those activities. For example, the DVD macro would:

1) Turn on the TV

2) Turn on the Audio receiver

3) Turn on the DVD player

4) Set TV to correct input

5) Set Audio receiver to correct input

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David,

Thanks for the quick response. Can these macros be programmed on the mainpage of the mx700. In your example on the main page when I select DVD a macro is issued to:

1) Turn on the TV

2) Turn on the Audio receiver

3) Turn on the DVD player

4) Set TV to correct input

5) Set Audio receiver to correct input

6) Displays page 1 for the DVD device

active buttons correspond to dvd device functions?

Or is it possible in step 6 to go to a hybrid device page that provides dvd device control and some basic tv & receiver controls?

Thanks

Glenn

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Yes, to both questions. If you want to play around with it, just download the MXEditor software from my website or from www.hometheatermaster.com. You can also set up the MAIN page to be even more intuitive by only using 5 activities programmed on the right (or left) buttons. For example:

WATCH DVD>

WATCH TIVO>

WATCH HDTV>

LISTN CD>

WATCH VCR>

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just want to second the note that it's a very wife-friendly remote. I just taught my wife that she can push the device buttons once to go into the commands for each device, or she can hold the button to reset everything (MACRO) to the correct inputs, audio settings, etc. i.e. she basically does two things, watches Cable, and watches DVDs. The remote makes getting everything switched correctly a breeze.

It's very easy for her to use, and I think she might (very begrudgingly) admit that she likes the new remote. ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have both the Harmony 768 and the MX700. The harmony is "smarter" in that remembers the state of components. So if your Audio system is already on from another activity and you switch to a different activity it won't try to turn it on again. This is a great feature and the remote for the most part works as advertised.

Having said that, I bought the MX700 and will be selling the Harmony. Why? BACKLIGHTING. I couldn't live without it. Harmony did just introduce another remote with backlighting but I'm sticking with the MX700 - you emulate the Harmony by putting a macro on the "On" button that turn on all devices, and the same with the off button (turns off all devices) then you create "activites" on the LCD buttons using macros that switch all componts correctly to watch a DVD or Cable, etc.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nhparrot
Recently, I have been looking at Harmony remotes as I think the "Activities" approach would provide a nice simplistic user experience for my wife and kids. But before I pull the trigger on the Harmony remote, can a Home Theater Master MX700 be programmed to act in a similar manner?

Thanks Glenn
Yes, it can.

I decided on a mix of activities and devices for my main screen. My family usually only cares about watching HD satellite or DVDs so those are the first two entries on Main. I, frequently tweak audio and the projector, so I wanted those devices on the main screen too. (The main screen has its own dedicated button, so it is easy to switch between devices and activities on that screen. Of course, I could have made a dedicated button for for my tweak functions and used punch through to get me there on any device.)

My Main Screen has

Main

----- --HDTV

----- ----DVD

----- -----CD

----- -AUDIO

MP3-- PROJ

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.