AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I put my rotor up on my antenna, I was actually getting a better signal from some sources. Now that rotor is up, I'm getting better on some channels, but worse on others, and multipathing is real problem. Part of that, I'm sure, is the terrain between me and the towers (I'm in a valley) but I also noticed that I've got a little nick in the RG6 cable where I pulled it into the house. Can this seriously degrade the signal strength? I can always pull a little of the cable out, cut out the nicked part, and put a new F-connector on it, but wondered how serious this can be before I go through the effort.

·
Registered
842 Posts
RG-6 has a few components but the important ones are the "Pin" and "Shield". If you have the shield touching the pin at anypoint... that screws up everything. One of those little bitty aluminim braids touching the pin will cause problems.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Even if the pin core and sleeve aren't shorted, water can get into the cable and degrade performance if even just the shield is exposed. (If that's all that's wrong you can make a repair with some GE Silicone.)

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have had this EXACT PROBLEM. I would cut the problem area out. Best would be to replace the cable, minimum would be to cut the break out, put on new ends and connect it.

If you want to test the cable before doing this, you can buy a cable tester that will test the line. You need access to both ends of the line and the testers usually cost around $70 at Home Depot. This is an option if the cable would be hard to replace.

I have the tester, so I'd just test the cable. But if I didn't, I'd cut the problem area out of the cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.