AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know there are only like a million threads on the subject...but that's part of the problem: there are like a million threads!!! Maybe someone will take pity and I can get a quick answer.

Just got a BD drive for Xmas and I'm trying to rip and stream content to my PS3. This is my first attempt, so I haven't played around much, but used AnyDVD HD to just do a straight rip of the .m2ts files. I see these are supposed to be native to PS3, so I figured, for this BD anyway, I'm good to go.

Moved the 00001.m2ts file, just to test, over to my HP MSS; I stream from it to the PS3 using the PVConnect Media Server. First run, PS3 sees the folder the 00001.m2ts is in, which is usually a good sign (as you probably know, if it doesn't have a file type it likes, it won't even see the folder), but when I try to play it it says "corrupt file". That's better than unsupported file type, so I'm guessing I need all the other .m2ts files that comprise that movie (there were 14) or it needs a file to help sort out the read order of the movie files (like .ifo's with .vob's).

Can I just dump all the .m2ts files into a folder and PS3 will play them that way...or do I need a "sorter" file to go with the .m2ts? or do I need to mux all the .m2ts into one big .m2ts (also ala .vob)?

Thanks,

CD

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I've thought about getting a Blu Ray burner and trying to do stuff like that, but I doubt it would work on my PC. I have a cheapo PC from 2005, and I'm sure I would need a much more powerful rig to do all that stuff.

Streaming HD movies to my PS3 would be pretty cool. I like it from the standpoint of less wear and tear on my BD drive inside the PS3.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so as an update I have figured out that those 14 .m2ts did not comprise the movie, the way multiple .vob do for DVD; only one is the movie file (the 15GB one...duh) and it plays just fine streaming to PS3. OK, so I've done 2 BDs now, but still have a few noobie follow-ups. No one answered my first round, which in retrospect was pretty silly, even by newbie standards, so I don't know that I hold much hope, but it can't hurt to ask:

Can I expect all BD to have this .m2ts structure, or does it vary by encoding (like VC-1 might have a different file structure)?

In the 2nd BD I ripped, I noticed some of the other .m2ts files were special feature files...one was like 2GB and the other just under 1, and I could play those separately...but what do the really small files do?

Of course my .m2ts played just fine, and would ff and rew, but no chapter search and no subtitles (and I assume you just get one audio stream ripping just the movie file), so is that what some of the other .m2ts files bring to the table...and if you want them you need to mux all the files together, the way it does the same thing if you mux the .ifo to the .vob with DVDs?

Of course I've found the easiest way to handle this with DVD is just rip everything into an .iso, and I think a lot of people find that desirable with BD as well, but it's finding a player that will stream BD .iso that is the challenge? PS3 won't do it, right? Is there a simple transcoder that allows PS3 to stream BD .iso?

And lastly, for now, ripping the BD with AnyDVD HD was relatively simple, and fast...plus or minus an hour...but you have to rip everything, you can't pick and choose, ala DVD Shrink. Is there a product people use, like DVD Shrink, for BD, even though you need AnyDVD HD to do the decryption? Why do people spend, what I read is like plus or minus 24 hours, remuxing and converting? Is it to get chapter search, multiple audio, and subtitles, like I mention above, or is it mostly to get the file size down? I'd like some of that other stuff, and maybe there's another way to get it easily and quickly, but I don't worry about file size so much; as others have said before me, HDDs are cheap, time is expensive. But just out of curiousity, just how small are we talking? My 2 files so far are 15 and 18GB; how small can you get them without any sacrifice to PQ?

Thanks for any feedback,

CD

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/15514742

I've thought about getting a Blu Ray burner and trying to do stuff like that, but I doubt it would work on my PC. I have a cheapo PC from 2005, and I'm sure I would need a much more powerful rig to do all that stuff.

Streaming HD movies to my PS3 would be pretty cool. I like it from the standpoint of less wear and tear on my BD drive inside the PS3.

A1, obviously I am a newbie myself, so maybe this is a little like the blind leading the blind, but I wouldn't say you need a super-powerful rig to rip BD. You don't need a BD burner to rip, just a BD reader (which will be much less expensive). Problem you would likely run into is no SATA port on your MB, but you could always just get a cheapo card (or just upgrade your PC
)

Going discless is like a quest for me; over 4,000 CDs, around 400 DVDs, and now I'm trying to tackle BDs. Nothing beats packing away all those silver discs, that used to be littered all over the house, in boxes here and there, and having all those files, well-organized, and ready for play at your fingertips.

CD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts