AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of getting a projector sometime this summer and decided that a HTPC would be the best for it but I was wondering can a notebook be equipped to be HTPC.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've used my ATI Mobility-P equipped laptop to play DVD's at 600p anamorphic on my HDTV, with SPDIF Dolby Digital sound routed through my sound system. To use dScaler, you need a bt878 card, but they do have USB versions, though I'm not sure if they work with dScaler. Many laptops' video chipsets are not happy about custom resolutions. Obviously, a laptop is not the preferred platform for a HTPC.

-Abdul

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Richard:

___The Nvidia GeForce2 Go Video chipsets have been released in the high end Toshiba Satellite as well as the Dell Inspiron notebooks. This particular video chipset should have custom T&R capability. The Dell offers S/PDIF capability as well as a 15-pin RGB monitor I/O out of the box. It will not be “Best in Class†but it will certainly be close http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Dell Inspiron 8000 with the Geforce2Go video card and WinDVD 2.1 installed from the factory. What tweaks and/or utilities such as Powerstrip would you suggest to enable use as a HTPC with a JVC G11 DILA?

------------------

J Thomas

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi JThomas:

___You should consider using a custom T&R to output a proper 16:9 (1360X768) or a 2.35:1 (1360X580) desktop to the DILA with the help of Power Strip 3.0.xxx beta. Take a look at the DILA users! Perfect 1360x768 (16:9) and 1360x580 (2.35) … for more information. These particular custom T&R’s are just 2 of many built into the all encompassing list of T&R’s available with the click of the mouse once you have PowerStrip setup properly.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
292 Posts
My backup HTPC is a Quantex I1410 (clone of the Dell Inspiron 7000) I've been using for about three years now. It features the Rage Pro LT video chipset and a 2x DVD and a 300mhz processor. It also has a hardware DVD decoder but I abandon it years ago in favor of software DVD playback. I highly recommend the RAGELTMAN (available at rage3d.com) drivers if you use this chipset. This "old" laptop produces a quality image that is roughly 85% as good as my Geforce 2 GTS full blown HTPC. It never studders or complains and CPU usage is around 70% with HWMC off.

The biggest drawback is that it has no SPDIF output so I have to run a stereo mini plug into my marantz processor. The results are still very good.

I personally feel that the current generation of laptops leave little, if anything, to be desired in an HTPC. Nowadays, you can get GeforceGO chipset, SPDIF output, Firewire inputs, S-video TV output, tons of ram, infared ports, and CDR/DVD combo drives. All this in a super quiet package that weighs 6 lbs. SIGN ME UP!! Small harddrives and relative expense are some of the drawbacks at this time.

------------------

David.. "It must be weird to be normal"

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
PCI cards like AccessDTV obviously won't work in laptops. One of the main advantages of a HTPC over stand-alone consumer products is that HTPC's are upgradable, and you sacrifice a lot of that upgradability by going with a laptop.

-Abdul

[This message has been edited by Abdul Jalib (edited 05-22-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.