AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a laptop and wondering if a Pentium M 1.6 will be able to handle playing HD resolution WMV9 (like the T2: Extreme Edition) without dropped frames? Or would I be better off with a fast P4 mobile chip?

If you own a Centrino/Pentium M machine, please let me know how it worked out if you've tried to this type of HD video on your laptop. (And include model and specs.)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I found this on the Dell forums:

Quote:
I've got the i8600 with Hitachi screen WSXGA+ and the 64mb 4200 video card and have played the terminator 2 both regular and HD version without that issue. I did have a couple frame skips with the HD version but they do recommend a 128mb video card so I'll allow them that.
The poster didn't specify the exact speed of his CPU, but the Inspiron 8600 is available with Pentium M CPUs from 1.3 - 1.7GHz.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just found this thread; as a data point, my Gateway 505XL (1.5GHz Pentium M/Centrino) plays the downloadable clips from http://www.wmvhd.com/ with no dropped frames that I see (both the 720 and 1080 clips).

Cheers,

--Geoff

·
Registered
953 Posts
what player is everyone using, and how can you tell if/how many frames are dropped?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use Zoom Player. I'm not sure if it has a frame counter (probably, it's extremely feature-full), I was just going by eye.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Using Zoom player my 1.3GHz Acer 803 and 1.5Ghz HP zt3000 play 1080p demos with no problem. However, there is stutter on the Corel Reef DVD because the decryption process takes extra cycles.

WMV-HD is a work in progress. Perhaps one day encrypted material will be able to be played back on a 1.3GHz P-M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.