AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving to Tokyo from NY and want to buy a Plasma screen. I think it will be cheaper here (like everything else). I think a Plasma screen does not have a TV tuner therefore it should work there but I just want to know for sure before I buy it. I expect I can use a transformer and use it with a cable box or Satellite dish receiver.

Also any pointers on where to start my search. I dont know anything about Plasmas. I want to spend 5K or less.

Thank you

·
Registered
884 Posts
You should check the specs on the individual models. Panasonics do, mine does. It does NTSC (2 types), PAL or SECAM. (I've never fed it a SECAM signal, but PAL and NTSC works.) It'll auto detect, or you can lock it to one input type. I lock it or it flashes a bit while deciding what to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if most Plasmas do, its pretty trivial for them.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ensyed
We are moving to Tokyo from NY
Doesn't Japan use NTSC? I thought it used the other NTSC standard my Panasonic supports.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
eram,

As far as I know, all plasmas support both PAL and NTSC. Japan uses a standard NTSC signal, so it should work. For HDTV in Japan, you may have some difficulty as their HDTV standards are quite different (1035i or something similar).

In any case, if you pick a Japanese plasma you should be OK.

Japan uses 110V (almost the same as the 110-120V standard in the US). The plasma should plug in and start working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eram,

Not all plasmas support NTSC/PAL (just ask my friend)

I would buy a plasma in Tokyo and Do not buy in LAOX

I had a quick look in the Yahoo auctions (japan) and found a few new 42 " for 420,000jpy (about 3,800US)

Guess where i live ;-)

Rob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by btwyx
Doesn't Japan use NTSC? I thought it used the other NTSC standard my Panasonic supports.
Yes, Japan does use NTSC.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Tokyobob,

I'm sure he'll get a better deal for a plasma in the US. Plasmas (and all electronics) are VERY expensive in Tokyo.

Auctions are much more dangerous than buying at a store. If you compare the store price in the US vs. the store price in Tokyo, you'll see what I mean...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ofer,

Some electronics can be expensive eps. US stuff - don't get me started on BOSE speakers

But i would say for the most part if you shop about in japan you can get a lot of good deals and cheaper than the US (plus you don't have to worry about shipping a plasma screen to the Japan)

Projectors and Digital cameras are way cheaper in Tokyo than the U.S (up to 40% on some items)

Rob

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
For HDTV in Japan, you may have some difficulty as their HDTV standards are quite different (1035i or something similar).
Actually Japanese HD is the same as US as far as video. 1080i and 720p, though they only use 1080i so far. 1035i is old analog Muse system, but any HD display will handle it no problem.

Also Japan is 100V and half of the country is 50Hz and the other half is 60Hz. Make sure that the Plasma clearly says 100V-120V 50Hz/60Hz or 100V-240V 50/60Hz.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.