AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my family room is 17X20 with a 8'3" ceiling. I am thinking of put a 80"-100" screen on the one 17' wide wall. I am worried about that the room might not be dark enough during the day.

On right side of the wall there is a 8X7 glass door facing northwest open to the deck. The back side of the family room is open to my kitchen, which has a 6X4 window on the same side as the glass door.

Another thing is that I would like to ceiling mount the projector. But I have a ceiling fan in the middle of the room. The projector will be either 4'-5' from the screen or 11'-12' from the screen.

I would like to use it for daily TV watching. We normally have our TV on for about 6-8 hours per day.

Are there any projector under $2000 that could fit my need. or a plasma/LCD TV will be better for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Considering with most projectors, you are lucky to get 2000 hours out them, at 8 hours a day you will be changing bulbs every 250 days, that can get expensive. Bulb life is even less if you have to have it at full power to compensate for ambient light.

IMHO, projectors just aren't built to be used as a primary display device.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leforge /forum/post/0

my family room is 17X20 with a 8'3" ceiling. I am thinking of put a 80"-100" screen on the one 17' wide wall. I am worried about that the room might not be dark enough during the day.

On right side of the wall there is a 8X7 glass door facing northwest open to the deck. The back side of the family room is open to my kitchen, which has a 6X4 window on the same side as the glass door.

Another thing is that I would like to ceiling mount the projector. But I have a ceiling fan in the middle of the room. The projector will be either 4'-5' from the screen or 11'-12' from the screen.

I would like to use it for daily TV watching. We normally have our TV on for about 6-8 hours per day.

Are there any projector under $2000 that could fit my need. or a plasma/LCD TV will be better for me.

Thanks

if you get a projector with at least a 25% offset the ceiling fan won't be an issue...(thats one of the benifits or the offset) And it all depends on how much tv you watch....its been my primary display for 3 1/2 years....just remember you don't turn it on and off like a regular tv so once its on it stays on if you think you'll be watching somthing else in a couple hrs...otherwise bulb life will suffer...and most bulbs last around 3000 hrs...depending on your habits..if you tend to leave it on for hours at a time when its on (4-5hrs or mors) then it should last longer because the process of striking the lamp or turning it on takes its toll on bulb life..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.