AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this in the Receiver section and didn't get much of a response, so I will try hear instead. I have a Pioneer VSX-521-K receiver that I just bought and I am noticing more noise in my picture than I did before. The HDMI cable going from the bluray player to the receiver is the same one that used to connect the player to the tv, and the HDMI that goes from receiver to TV is the one I used to use to connect my Xbox to the TV, so I don't think its my cabling. Is it possible that the receiver is introducing the noise or just that I am noticing it now that I have new things hooked up because I am looking for it? Should I return the receiver (I have only had it like 3 days) and try a new one?

·
Banned
568 Posts
I bought a Denon 1911 receiver a few months back and it improved the image quality from the Wii. ...I didn't notice any other effects; other than awesome 7.1 surround sound

Your cables should be fine, I'm pretty sure that you've only just begun to notice the noise, because you've upgraded your setup. The receiver shouldn't have any negative effect on image quality. I suggest you look at your TV's settings menu and adjust the sharpness value, and also look for any noise reduction features. ...Fiddle around with the options and you should be able to obtain a better image than when the TV came new out of the box [with the default settings]. Calibrating a TV properly could also help, but it depends on what TV you're using: some don't get much better, and others suck to begin with

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I turned the sharpness from 65 to 50 and put the auto noise filter to high, and it helped some. I can still notice it more than before though.

EDIT: Changed the picture setting on my Blu-Ray player from cinema to custom and upped its noise filter and that took care of the issue entirely. I was even able to turn back up the sharpness on my TV and Blu-Ray player. Guess my player just has a much better noise filter than my TV. Picture is back looking excellent! This TV really does have a great picture given what I paid for it.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevenberg /forum/post/20785855

I turned the sharpness from 65 to 50 and put the auto noise filter to high, and it helped some. I can still notice it more than before though.

EDIT: Changed the picture setting on my Blu-Ray player from cinema to custom and upped its noise filter and that took care of the issue entirely. I was even able to turn back up the sharpness on my TV and Blu-Ray player. Guess my player just has a much better noise filter than my TV. Picture is back looking excellent! This TV really does have a great picture given what I paid for it.

If your video signal was fine before you ran it through the AVR and you are using the same cables, then you probably have a problem with your AVR. I suggest you hook it up directly as before, if the noise is gone return the receiver.

Ian

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
I have an Onkyo 807 and am happy with it, had it for a year. But... Last fall I was feeling my display image was not quite right, it's pro calibrated by Chad B, and decided to turn off the processing in the Onkyo and found a subtle but noticeable improvement. I loose the onscreen display but I don't care. The Onkyo acts as a switcher and tat' all and I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L /forum/post/20786451

I have an Onkyo 807 and am happy with it, had it for a year. But... Last fall I was feeling my display image was not quite right, it's pro calibrated by Chad B, and decided to turn off the processing in the Onkyo and found a subtle but noticeable improvement. I loose the onscreen display but I don't care. The Onkyo acts as a switcher and tat' all and I'm fine with that.

The Pioneer model that the OP is using does not have a video processor.

Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.