AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
without a full 1080p/24 display will a scaler allow stutter free playback on a 720p native display?

my htpc outputs a constant 720p/50hz and software called reclock magically allows whatever input, whether it be 24,23.976,29 etc to run perfectly smooth

will a standalone unit do the same with say a ps3 playing blurays,tv and avi's?

thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Movies are filmed at 24 frames per second. To display a movie, stutter free, you need to drive the display at an even multiple such as 24Hz, 48Hz, 72Hz, or 96Hz. To display a movie at 60Hz, some fields are repeated. You will see judder on pans, zooms and objects that move.

Best regards,

Randy Freeman

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
i have a pioneer 141 9G display that takes in 1080p at 24 frames and displays it at 72hz. I still see stutter!!!! I thought that by getting a panel that supposibly does 24 frames correctly should look perfect but its not.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The normal setup to watch movies using a Lumagen video processor is to set the Blu-ray player to 1080i or 1080p24. Then you set the output of the Lumagen to drive the display at 1080p24 or 1080p48. You should have smooth motion without any stuttering.

Best regards,

Randy Freeman

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Some pans in film are a little too quick for 24 frame per second film and thus you will still see some film judder. You can see it at the movies on a real film projector so you will not completely remove judder if your display can handle 24fps.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Another popular misconception is that you can improve motion studder by outputting at 48 or 72fps. Not true. The image was captured at 24fps and what ever happened in between is lost forever.

The reason mechanical projectors run two or three blade shutters is reduced flicker. The picture is flashed 48 or 72 fps, but it's still only 24 individule pictures. Same issue for CRT projectors. But digital projectors do not have that issue.

There are technologies that try to interpolate the missing frames but it's still an artificial frame that is not exactly the same as what was lost.

·
Registered
592 Posts
... Another popular misconception is that you can improve motion studder by outputting at 48 or 72fps. Not true. The image was captured at 24fps and what ever happened in between is lost forever...

Most videophiles don't realize that what actually causes judder (studder) is the simple act of repeating a frame. So, outputting 48, 60 or 72 fps from 24 fps source material causes judder, although it certainly helps to reduce flicker. On top of that, LCD aggravates the problem by holding the each frame constant except for a very short refresh period, causing motion blur. Inserting black intermediate frames (120 Hz) helps to reduce the blur and interpolating between frames helps to reduce judder, although interpolation can sometimes result in other artifacts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts