AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm considering one of the sb audigy cards and I notice that at least one model has an optical toslink line in. I would like to process dts dd 5.1 signals from other components to reduce their bass before they reach my ridiculously boomy logitec z-680 5.1 system.

Is this possible with the audigy?

Thanks

·
Registered
208 Posts
Unfortunately no. audigies cannot decode DD or DTS on their digital ins. It will only deal with 2 channel PCM.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Actually they can decode DD/DTS coming into the S/PDIF input just fine. Only the models with a front bracket or external breakout box have the S/PDIF input, but if you set it in the AudioHQ it can decode the input with no problem.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona
Actually they can decode DD/DTS coming into the S/PDIF input just fine. Only the models with a front bracket or external breakout box have the S/PDIF, but if you set it in the AudioHQ it can decode the input with no problem.
S/PDIF is supported on Audigy's that don't connect to a breakout box or come with a front drive bay device. You have to purchase a mini-to-optical or mini-to-coaxial cable to plug into the back of the card.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. So I can take the optical out of one of my devices, put it in to the audigy via the line in, decode, eq and re-encode the audio, and then send it out of the optical output to my 5.1 system?

It sounds too good to be true.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsears
Wow. So I can take the optical out of one of my devices, put it in to the audigy via the line in, decode, eq and re-encode the audio, and then send it out of the optical output to my 5.1 system?

It sounds too good to be true.
Sorry, it's a digital line out on the back of the card, at the time I wasn't thinking about your need of an input. The other poster is right in that you do need a front bay device or breakout box for S/PDIF in.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong then. I have the USB version with a digital in, and I could never get it to decode DD. After several emails with support, I gave up on it, as they said it couldnt do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.