AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I was having a chat with the IT guy who is in charge of our school's infrastructure. We were talking about video switches and how to manage multiple device inputs to a television and he suggested getting an AV Amplifier instead that can 1. operate as a video switch and 2. convert the video signals to a signal output type when that input is selected. So for example, if multiple devices (maybe SCART, Component and HDMI) were plugged in, the AV amplifier could output those all through HDMI and covert the signal as needed.

Is this true? And if so, are there any decent ones out there? It would solve a lot of my cabling issues.

Many thanks in advance !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know my Onkyo AVR will up convert s-video, composite video, component video and output it through the HDMI.
Many thanks for your reply. Do you have multiple inputs and the AVR is happy to put them through one output?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Most of my stuff was HDMI, but I had a Nintendo 64(composite video) and some other HD box (component video) and it had no problem pushing everything out the HDMI.

Be careful what you look at on the market now. My AVR is at least 5-6 years old. A time when up converting was a must because many things hadn't transitioned to HDMI. The ones I'm look at replacing it with now don't have the older style video inputs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of my stuff was HDMI, but I had a Nintendo 64(composite video) and some other HD box (component video) and it had no problem pushing everything out the HDMI.

Be careful what you look at on the market now. My AVR is at least 5-6 years old. A time when up converting was a must because many things hadn't transitioned to HDMI. The ones I'm look at replacing it with now don't have the older style video inputs.
Yeah I need something with quite a few inputs and definitely old style connectors. What model is yours and do you know what else is out there? Its going to be mainly composite, not sure what to do about the RF (coaxial) stuff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, no I meant original coax (for example, my Atari 2600 uses RF) - but I am not too worried about putting those through an AVR.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to rehash an old thread - the Onkyo TX-NR1007 looks great, but am I right in thinking that it only has 5 composite inputs looking at the back of it? Are there any older models focussing on composite upscaling with more inputs that I can hunt around for?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Sorry to rehash an old thread - the Onkyo TX-NR1007 looks great, but am I right in thinking that it only has 5 composite inputs looking at the back of it? Are there any older models focussing on composite upscaling with more inputs that I can hunt around for?
Assuming you need lots of composite inputs for things like retro gaming consoles, you'll be better off with a cheap external switch box for composite video / analog audio, instead of buying an older AVR that will be more limited on the HDMI/4K front going forward...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Assuming you need lots of composite inputs for things like retro gaming consoles, you'll be better off with a cheap external switch box for composite video / analog audio, instead of buying an older AVR that will be more limited on the HDMI/4K front going forward...
Yeah its a hard balance to strike. Thing is, they look awful on modern TVs and I know some gamers have had good results using an up-scaler on a newer TV. At some point I would like to change my current TV to one a little more modern and I am limited by the lack of connections etc. I do have a THOR HDMI/SCART switch already and a cheap 3-way SCART unpowered switch too, but as the previous guy said (who owns the ONKYO), the N64 looks absolutely rubbish on a newer TV and he has had good results using the AV receiver.

I do like the new receivers, just hoped they would have more composite inputs otherwise I am looking at needing 2 or 3 of them to do what I would like to do.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I do have a THOR HDMI/SCART switch already and a cheap 3-way SCART unpowered switch too, but as the previous guy said (who owns the ONKYO), the N64 looks absolutely rubbish on a newer TV and he has had good results using the AV receiver.
I was thinking you use the external switcher in front of the AVR/scaler. To get more inputs instead of trying to find an AVR with that many...

I do like the new receivers, just hoped they would have more composite inputs otherwise I am looking at needing 2 or 3 of them to do what I would like to do.
Analog video support is disappearing from modern AVRs - it's becoming a niche market as anything made in the last, oh, decade or so, has an HDMI output... Keeping all the analog circuitry for upconverting isn't cheap, and with less customers needing it every day, you can see where that is headed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking you use the external switcher in front of the AVR/scaler. To get more inputs instead of trying to find an AVR with that many...

Analog video support is disappearing from modern AVRs - it's becoming a niche market as anything made in the last, oh, decade or so, has an HDMI output... Keeping all the analog circuitry for upconverting isn't cheap, and with less customers needing it every day, you can see where that is headed.
I see what you are saying. I guess if you were going to do that you would just have one composite switch running through a single upscaler. Would that cause any lag or problems? Any recommendations on switches/av receiver/individual upscaler to try?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Unless you are looking to spend big money on an external video processor your best option is to retain a standard definition CRT TV for your retro gaming.

Trying to up convert Composite video to play on a FullHD (1080p) or UHD (2160p) Display is always going to disappoint.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi I do have an old crt but no room for two Tvs at the moment. I don't mind spending money on equipment if it works.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'd love to know what the picture quality is like with the TX-NR1007 and the Nintendo 64. The XRGB Mini Framemeister is really pricey and only accepts one input and output.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
It's not about spending money - your game consoles were designed in the era of SD on a CRT and look 'good' on those and generally look ropey/dreadful on a FullHD or UHD display.

If you want to try out an external scaler look for a second had Lumagen or DVDO with analogue Input and Digital Output.

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'd love to know what the picture quality is like with the TX-NR1007 and the Nintendo 64. The XRGB Mini Framemeister is really pricey and only accepts one input and output.
That was many years ago and I can't seem to get it to work with my Pioneer SC95, but it was more than acceptable to play. I was looking forward to mario kart on my 151" screen with the Pioneer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That was many years ago and I can't seem to get it to work with my Pioneer SC95, but it was more than acceptable to play. I was looking forward to mario kart on my 151" screen with the Pioneer.
Really appreciate the reply! Can you remember if it was blurry? Its super blurry on my 42" Panasonic TV (probably about 7 year sold) directly plugged in through composite. I figured if that looked half decent then surely everything else would be much better in comparison.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts