AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to know if it's possible for an AV receiver that's passing a signal from a Blu-ray player over HDMI to a 4K TV to degrade the picture (as opposed to connecting the Blu-ray player directly to the TV via HDMI)? I'd like to know if that could be a potential problem before purchasing a longer HDMI cable to go straight from the player to the TV as a solution. My particular setup is an Oppo BDP-93 connected to an Anthem MRX-710 receiver (which claims 4K pass-through) connected to an LG OLED E6. The picture seems overly grainy and noisy with this setup. Of course, I've already tried turning off all enhancements on the LG (e.g. Dynamic Contrast, Edge Enhancer, TruMotion, etc.) and use ISF Dark mode and turned sharpness down to 0. Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does anyone happen to know if it's possible for an AV receiver that's passing a signal from a Blu-ray player over HDMI to a 4K TV to degrade the picture (as opposed to connecting the Blu-ray player directly to the TV via HDMI)? I'd like to know if that could be a potential problem before purchasing a longer HDMI cable to go straight from the player to the TV as a solution. My particular setup is an Oppo BDP-93 connected to an Anthem MRX-710 receiver (which claims 4K pass-through) connected to an LG OLED E6. The picture seems overly grainy and noisy with this setup. Of course, I've already tried turning off all enhancements on the LG (e.g. Dynamic Contrast, Edge Enhancer, TruMotion, etc.) and use ISF Dark mode and turned sharpness down to 0. Any insight is appreciated.
Not 100% sure for Anthem, but on my Onkyo there's a "Bypass" settings on the picture quality settings. I've always used this option.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not 100% sure for Anthem, but on my Onkyo there's a "Bypass" settings on the picture quality settings. I've always used this option.
Do you happen to know what your Onkyo is doing with the video if you don't select "Bypass"? Is it upscaling or performing some other processing on the video signal?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Absolutely it can. If there is any type of picture processing being done, it can negatively affect the quality of the original source, not all receiver will do this, but it is something that you should look at. They bypass option will keep the original signal without trying to "make it better" and just post it directly to the source. I'm having an issue bringing up the receiver on the site, but if you can check your manual, or just go into your settings on your receiver, just double check your video settings to make sure nothing is being done. Also, you can test this by just connecting the Blu ray directly to the TV bypassing the amp to check and see if the picture still looks the same or if it gets better. I know oppo has a decent set of video adjustments that you can use as well to calibrate it to your liking, may want to check that as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You never mentioned how the picture looks when the blu-ray player is connected directly to the TV....I would do that first to see if it's the TV or player that's affecting the picture...all AV receivers have a pass-through mode, so make sure that option is selected and any video enhancements turned off (on both receiver and blu-ray player).

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Back before hdmi 2.0 the video processing was a big deal.

Marvel qdeo was the best than hqv was really good. If you had something like a denon 4520 and compared video to even a cheap onkyo 609. The onkyo would look better even in bypass or pure. Pioneer looked amazing too. In older receivers it was a big deal.

Now with the new hdmi standard I have a hard time telling. I have the same oled e6 and it's not a great tv for cable or even worse directv. Directv has a really really bad picture with a ton of grain and artifacts. When you have a high contrast tv you can really see this. Why I switched to xfinity. My Panasonic Zt60 looked horrible on direct.

Also every anthem I tested before had a bad picture quality. I haven't tested any of the newer anthem avrs. Last one I had was mrx700. Also people that have anthems love them but I could tell that pioneer, Yamaha and onkyo that I've tested all sound better.

Would be nice if all these companies started using great video chips again. Another downside to all these companies getting cheaper with lower quality components. If you don't need atmos or dts x I'd get a older avr. Like a pioneer elite sc79 or onkyo 5010. You can work around the 4k issue

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would be nice if all these companies started using great video chips again. Another downside to all these companies getting cheaper with lower quality components. If you don't need atmos or dts x I'd get a older avr. Like a pioneer elite sc79 or onkyo 5010. You can work around the 4k issue
I agree with this. What's the main point of passing video through your receiver--simplification of the remote control scheme?

·
The Village Idiot
9,558 Posts
I had no idea that an Oppo 93 could play 4k. Have I missed something?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back before hdmi 2.0 the video processing was a big deal.

Marvel qdeo was the best than hqv was really good. If you had something like a denon 4520 and compared video to even a cheap onkyo 609. The onkyo would look better even in bypass or pure. Pioneer looked amazing too. In older receivers it was a big deal.

Now with the new hdmi standard I have a hard time telling. I have the same oled e6 and it's not a great tv for cable or even worse directv. Directv has a really really bad picture with a ton of grain and artifacts. When you have a high contrast tv you can really see this. Why I switched to xfinity. My Panasonic Zt60 looked horrible on direct.

Also every anthem I tested before had a bad picture quality. I haven't tested any of the newer anthem avrs. Last one I had was mrx700. Also people that have anthems love them but I could tell that pioneer, Yamaha and onkyo that I've tested all sound better.

Given your familiarity and experience with Anthem receivers, would you say then that my best bet would be to select "Passthrough" for the Video Scaling control (as opposed to "Processed") to bypass what you think is Anthem's inferior video processing?

Also, my Oppo Blu-ray player has a "superior" QDEO video processor for the HDMI 1 output and a Mediatek video processor for the HDMI 2 output. I assume I should use HDMI 1 to take advantage of the QDEO? Also, the player allows me to manually select the resolution output of the player to 1080p, some lower resolution options, Auto (player supposedly automatically determines resolution based on the content played), and then "Source Direct" which turns off all video processing done by the Oppo/QDEO and only decodes and sends the raw video signal (acting only as a transport). Do you think Source Direct is better to eliminate the processing and send a pure signal or is it better to take advantage of the QDEO's abilities? My first inclination is to eliminate (or at least minimize) all video processing throughout the entire playback chain to get rid of possible noise and artifacts, but maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way ...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had no idea that an Oppo 93 could play 4k. Have I missed something?
It can't. The Anthem receiver can upscale or pass through a 4K signal, and the LG OLED E6 is a 4K display. In my current setup, 4K doesn't come into play except if the Anthem tries to upscale the 1080p to 4K and/or the LG upscales everything to 4K.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are there any receivers that can do advanced image processing like the Panasonic DMP-UB900? It seems like they are mostly for increasing audio quality.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Even when an AVR is in the "Video Bypass mode", the video may look slightly different. Handling a high res video stream without any degradation is a big challange, requires quality internal components and short connections... Changes in video may be more noticeable than changes in the audio ..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even when an AVR is in the "Video Bypass mode", the video may look slightly different. Handling a high res video stream without any degradation is a big challange, requires quality internal components and short connections... Changes in video may be more noticeable than changes in the audio ..

Just my $0.02.. ;)
Sounds like you're saying that to be on the safe side, it's best (if possible) to connect the player directly to the TV as to avoid the possibility of that degradation. Put as few things as possible in the path between source and display.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts