AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have my oval dish and Hughes E86 receiver hooked up, I was wondering if I can use my old Sony SAT-A2 Directv receiver as a second STB for the tv in my study.

I don't think it will recognize that I have an oval dish. I think Directv only had one satellite when I bought it in 95-96. If I hook it to the multi-switch on my oval dish, will it be able to pickup the channels on SAT A?

I'm hoping someone will save me the effort of hooking it up and trying it, if they know it won't work.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
It should work just fine. It will only get the 101 (Sat A) channels, but it should function normally.

Doc

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I will go ahead and hook it up. I was afraid that because it didn't have a setting for an oval 3 LNB dish, it might have trouble getting the channels from SAT A.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Not at all. The multiswitch assumes Sat A unless it gets a signaling tone from an HD or "Plus" receiver. Older receivers don't have that tone generating capability. You're good to go.

Doc

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You will, of course, have to activate it again with DirecTV and they will start charging you $5 a month "mirroring fee" for an additional receiver.

SMK

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the extra $5 per month to our friends at Directv will be worth it. I'm planning on using the "old" STB as my primary source for the vcr. My trusty old Sony SAT-A2's IR blaster feature is better than the one on my E86. The Sony STB can turn itself on, turn on the vcr, start recording, end recording, turn off the vcr and turn itself off. With the Hughes STB, you have to leave the vcr power on all the time. Plus, I won't have to always remember to switch the E86 from HD to SD to make sure that I'll get video and audio and not just audo on the next scheduled event. And I'll be able to watch one show and record another.

How much simplier would life be if someone would introduce a Directv HD STB with two tuners and TIVO. I'd settle for a SD TIVO as long as I could watch a show in HD and record it or some other HD show in SD as well. But, an HD TIVO would be awesome....maybe someday it will happen for us Directv watchers, but when?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.