AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a particular channel I get OTA that has a signal strength of 94. This channel multi-casts several other channels. I.E. it's channel 8, but I get 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3. 8.1 is the primary channel, and is the HD (or upconverted) feed of the analog broadcast. 8.2 and 8.3 are simply local weather forecast channels that are broadcast either upconverted or HD.

My problem is this. I get quite a bit of artifacting on 8.1, but 8.2 and 8.3 come in fine with no artifacts. All of my other digital channels work fine too.

Could this just be an issue with the 8.1 broadcast, maybe the station is getting a bad feed right now and are broadcasting the artifacts? This channel usually works fine, but I recently switched to a different antenna that gave me a better, more steady signal strength. I remember the 8.1 worked fine for the first day I had this antenna hooked up, but yesterday and today I started getting all of the artifacts. Just trying to rule out the new antenna. I have sat on the signal strength screen with this channel tuned, and even when the artifacts appear I have a rock-solid 94 signal strength.

Any ideas, input would be appreciated.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
This is virtually certain to be a problem at the station. They are not giving the HD subchannel enough bits and/or priority.

All subchannels are part of a single bitstream and if some are screwing up and others are not then it can not be reception problems.

But yes, in some cases (not yours), the input signal can be too strong and an attenuator can help.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a Dish 6000 and a high gain (26db) preamp. I have an attenuator at the receiver, and what I see if I open it completely is a drop in signal level, and thus I doubt too strong signal is your problem. But, go ahead anyway and pick up an attenuator for a few bucks at Radio Shack and experiment.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm less than five miles from several of the Atlanta

HDTV towers and found that my DST-3000 was constantly

reading 100% signal strength. I had occasional dropouts

similar to a too-weak signal. More wise forum members

pointed me to the Radio Shack $ 7.00 variable attenuator.

Now I turn the signal down to 93-95% and the problems are

gone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input. It looks like it was a problem at the broadcaster though. I spoke with a guy at work who was having the same problems this past weekend with the same channel (he actually brought it up to me). It looks like they have it all cleared up now.

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.