AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I invested in a decent VHF/UHF/FM (HDTV-ready) antenna from Radio Shack to receive OTA digital signals for my ADTV card in my HTPC. I mounted it in my attic. Now..currently at the location of my HDTV I only have one cable drop which currently carries standard cable.

My original plan was to install another RG6 at the same location so that the HTPC gets the OTA signal and the TV remains connected via cable but after several failed attempts at making the drop from my attic (unfortunately not using fish tape) I have given up.

Questions:

1) Does anyone know if I may be able to combine the antenna and cable signals into just the one drop w/o causing interference? If so, would a simple splitter/combiner be ok to use?

2) Terk has a diplexer which allows a Satellite signal and a Cable/Antenna signal to be combined then separated w/o interference when used in pairs but the Satellite "port" does not work for Cable or antenna. Is there a non-satellite diplexer available anywhere or is there a way to make the Terk diplexer work with only the cable and antenna?

3) Can anyone suggest another solution to getting the antenna feed to this location w/o damaging sheet rock, etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am assuming your are talking about analog cable TV.

Neither a splitter/combiner nor a diplexer (like the ones

used for DirecTV) will work for this. The reason is

that many of the CABLE channels overlap with your regular

off-air channels.

The DirecTV channel with the lowest frequency is way higher

than that of any OTA channel: this is why diplexers work OK

for DirecTV.

There are modulators that allow you to insert INDIVIDUAL

channels, but not the entire signal (which is what you need).

I suggest you buy a dual RG6 cable, tie it to the end of

the already installed Coax cable in your wall and pull it

up from the attic.

I doubt there is a product (within the limits of our cash

pockets, or atleast mine) that can combine the OTA and

cable collections of channel signals and separate them

again.

HobbieMan.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieMan
I am assuming your are talking about analog cable TV.

Neither a splitter/combiner nor a diplexer (like the ones used for DirecTV) will work for this. The reason is that many of the CABLE channels overlap with your regular off-air channels.

The DirecTV channel with the lowest frequency is way higher than that of any OTA channel: this is why diplexers work OK for DirecTV.

Yes, analog cable. Although I've had zero experience with DirecTV I sort of figured that the Satellite "port" wouldn't work because of incompatible freq range with that of cable or OTA Ant.
Quote:

I suggest you buy a dual RG6 cable, tie it to the end of the already installed Coax cable in your wall and pull it up from the attic.
As for using the existing RG6 as a pull-thru for any additional cables, that was my original plan. I also planned to include a Cat 5 at the same location but the existing RG6 won't budge. Most likely due to a staple or expanding foam the installer used to tack it down before drywall went up. I could just shoot myself for not having thought ahead and install any additional cabling there when my house was being built.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.