AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: deleted because I posted in the $3K forum.

Reactions: EmmaDarknet

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Chris, I am not sure what are the actual opportunities on the used market, when the new hdmi formats were introduced in a few models. It was only very recently. However the mediablock is modular,so you can buy a new one. I remember Peter (Cineramax) recently posted Barco supports HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 on its new integrated mediablock. The other DCi brands are to wait for an upgrade by Dolby's Doremi, he added. I don't know if there are any commercial units from the big brands that have modular inputs that may have an upgrade comming soon. What I do know is that the consumer units that you mention currently don't support any new HDMI format. They are non modular, so don't expect them to provide an upgrade (soon). DCi is most likely going to be more expensive than the Sony VW 4K series.

Current DCi projectors can work at 16 bits or even more internally.

Ask Peter or Alan Gouger, for an indication as to the used market and the modular input opportunities. A representative of Barco Canada is here on the forum, and so, is the VP for technology at Christie, so there you might ask for info on HDMI support in their 3 DMD projectors.

What deleted now I replied;-).

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I'm fairly certain he was thinking something ala Sim2 Lumis in regards to "3-Chip DLP", not commercial 3-chippers like a Barco or Christie. In the under ~$60000 market I can only think of a few projectors that officially support P3; Runco Q750i and various clones built on the same Delta OEM projector, Epson LS10000 and the Sony VPL-VW1000ES/VW1100ES.

From what I'm told, the native color gamut of the JVC DiLA projectors is actually as large or a bit larger than P3 without additional filtering. But they don't allow you access to the native gamut. But now that they may be moving to a laser/phosphor wheel combo I don't know if that will change things for JVC.

I'm sure we'll see a handful more announced at CEDIA this fall as we're all guessing P3 will be the color gamut first used when UHD blu-ray hits the shelves. Or maybe even REC709 for the initial offerings with P3 to follow suit soon afterwards. Though to get P3 or REC709 out of the REC2020 triangle we're going to need SMPTE 2084 meta data.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Indeed, but nothing for existing consumermachines. Commercial machines are partially modular, so can be upgraded, so one could get an used one and still buy a new input module. This will probably exceed the budget, but then the short answer is no, the suggested brands/models do not support this.

I am sorry to read that LED is now also close to 709 gamut, and it being touted as a good thing, in that new LG1500. Wide gamut is great, if control and access is handled properly.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The Barco Helios Studio Edition can do this when purchased as Theater Spec. The DCI optical filters move in and out as required.

The Alchemy module does not yet support HDCP 2.2 but the team is working on it. As has been stated the modular nature of the DCI projectors makes future upgrades like very easy as the architecture of Alchemy itself.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
The Christie HD-*KM models have yellow notch filters for DCI color space, along with the DPI Titan models, however neither have HDCP 2.2.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
However the mediablock is modular,so you can buy a new one. I remember Peter (Cineramax) recently posted Barco supports HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 on its new integrated mediablock. The other DCi brands are to wait for an upgrade by Dolby's Doremi, he added. I don't know if there are any commercial units from the big brands that have modular inputs that may have an upgrade comming soon.
What deleted now I replied;-).
I forgot to even check back here after I deleted the post. Oops!

That's fascinating that some of you are using commercial projectors at home - I had no idea that was done. I figured the Super Lumis was about the top end of what people were running in home theaters.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Even without connections, though you might get better prices that way. And of course now Barco has re-entered the Residential market, special versions, like the mentioned Helios, of its 3 chippers build as HT machines instead of modded at a later stage and the PD single chippers. Neil (ceenhad) is the UK/European Barco High residential distributor, the US partner is Display Development. DPI has long been active in the HT field., And Christie now also addressing this market directly, instead of just via Runco/Sim2/Wolf/Display Development, and others.

Actually DCI machines often used to be cheaper than Sim2 or DPI, with Xenon instead of UHP, P3 without a yellow notch filter that Christie introduced in the first HD-K series in what 2005? And in the latest versions, remote monitoring and troubleshooting. Definitely cheaper if you din't get a re-branded (perhaps modded) version Christie or Barco DCi machine, but buying a commercial or DCi version without the extra middleman.

DPI is currently working with NEC, the NEC price (€79K, list) is slightly lower than what we hear from DPI, but DPI might add motorized zoomlens and other HT ammenities.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
The Christie HD-*KM models have yellow notch filters for DCI color space, along with the DPI Titan models, however neither have HDCP 2.2.
Do you know if these filters can be purchased independently? And if the Christie model you mention, without the filter, is at 100% of the rec 709 color space or something else.

My cheap w1070 projector supports 10-bit color input (probably through dithering), and has more than enough lumens to handle a drop due to a color conversion filter, so I'm looking for a cheap DIY way to do this myself and hopefully others can benefit too.

I'm actually not even sure if I'd need to add some processing to the mix. I mean if 0-1023 intensity on each of the colors used to map to Rec 709, then a filter makes the primary 1023 value of the R,G,B color coordinates to P3, I wonder if that would just work out of the box.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I'm fairly certain he was thinking something ala Sim2 Lumis in regards to "3-Chip DLP", not commercial 3-chippers like a Barco or Christie. In the under ~$60000 market I can only think of a few projectors that officially support P3; Runco Q750i and various clones built on the same Delta OEM projector, Epson LS10000 and the Sony VPL-VW1000ES/VW1100ES.

From what I'm told, the native color gamut of the JVC DiLA projectors is actually as large or a bit larger than P3 without additional filtering. But they don't allow you access to the native gamut. But now that they may be moving to a laser/phosphor wheel combo I don't know if that will change things for JVC.

I'm sure we'll see a handful more announced at CEDIA this fall as we're all guessing P3 will be the color gamut first used when UHD blu-ray hits the shelves. Or maybe even REC709 for the initial offerings with P3 to follow suit soon afterwards. Though to get P3 or REC709 out of the REC2020 triangle we're going to need SMPTE 2084 meta data.
a notch filter will get close to p3 during a brief lifespan of the uhp bulbs and or if frequently recalibrating, you should get spectroradiometer plots of the actual coverage of the dci traingle from manufacturers with such yellow notch filters. Brightness and ansi contrast hits are another matter.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Do you know if these filters can be purchased independently? And if the Christie model you mention, without the filter, is at 100% of the rec 709 color space or something else.

My cheap w1070 projector supports 10-bit color input (probably through dithering), and has more than enough lumens to handle a drop due to a color conversion filter, so I'm looking for a cheap DIY way to do this myself and hopefully others can benefit too.

I'm actually not even sure if I'd need to add some processing to the mix. I mean if 0-1023 intensity on each of the colors used to map to Rec 709, then a filter makes the primary 1023 value of the R,G,B color coordinates to P3, I wonder if that would just work out of the box.
I know when I had the Christie HD6K-M we left the notch filter in place and calibrated to Rec 709. This was a while ago and there were no DCI/P3 sources to feed the projector as it was not DCI compliant. I do recall that in the brochure one of the features was DCI color space.

This is really an interesting topic now that UHD is right around the corner, and there seem to be work arounds to get P3, 10 Bit video to HDMI 1.4 projectors. I am wondering aloud if my Titan 660 3D Pro Series 3 can reach DCI/P3 colorspace.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
Yellow Notch Filters are not an easy thing to source, I've tried a couple projector / lens manufacturers and didn't make much headway yet. Not giving up though.

Meanwhile, for those who are interested, I created a thread to discuss it here.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...-dci-p3-color-filters-rec-709-projectors.html

Also, the makers of HD Fury seem interested in this project, because it seems a natural fit with their Integral HDCP 2.2 stripper / splitter and could help them sell more product if it means a cheap DIY DCI P3 upgrade to people's 1080p rec 709 projectors to stave off obsolescence for another year or two, for the UHD Bluray era.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/2171745-hdfury-integral.html

·
Registered
709 Posts
Projection Design used to offer P3 as an option via an additional notch filter in their projectors. Such a shame they got swallowed up by Barco.

In the past, I had a batch of custom notch filters made for my projectors at work. It was a one time thing and a very big favor. Frankly I'm still amazed they agreed to do it.

Yellow Notch Filters are not an easy thing to source, I've tried a couple projector / lens manufacturers and didn't make much headway yet. Not giving up though.

Meanwhile, for those who are interested, I created a thread to discuss it here.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...-dci-p3-color-filters-rec-709-projectors.html

Also, the makers of HD Fury seem interested in this project, because it seems a natural fit with their Integral HDCP 2.2 stripper / splitter and could help them sell more product if it means a cheap DIY DCI P3 upgrade to people's 1080p rec 709 projectors to stave off obsolescence for another year or two, for the UHD Bluray era.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/2171745-hdfury-integral.html

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
I have confirmed that my DPI Titan 660 3D UC -Pro Seies 3, can come very close to DCI/P3 colorspace with Notch filter in place. I have ordered HDFury integral. So 10Bit, P3 colorspace a go when UHD arrives.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have confirmed that my DPI Titan 660 3D UC -Pro Seies 3, can come very close to DCI/P3 colorspace with Notch filter in place. I have ordered HDFury integral. So 10Bit, P3 colorspace a go when UHD arrives.
How much light do you lose with the filter in place?

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
The filter remains in place for both rec 709 and P3 better more accurate colors with it engaged. With the filter in out position then about 25 percent increase in light output which is usefull for 3D where brightness is more important than color accuracy in my opinion

1 - 17 of 17 Posts