AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Philips which recently broke down for the third time (DVDR80) could record 16:9 from my HR 10-250 DVR onto DVD+R disks through the S-Video connection. It would also record 4:3 properly, but only when playing back on my HD plasma.

When I would attempt to play a 4:3 recorded program on a 4:3 televison the aspect ratio would not be preserved. In other words, the 4:3 recording would end up with a 4:3 picture with side bars on my 4:3 set, and 16:9 recordings, which should be shown at a letteboxed picture on a 4:3 set, became a distorted full screen picture on the 4:3 set.

So, since I need a new DVD recorder, can anyone recommend, preferably but not necessarily with a HDD, a recorder that can successfully record 16:9 aspect ratio programs? And, of less importance but still desirable, be able to properly record 4:3 so that when I record from my HD TIVO to DVD it appears properly full screen on a 4:3 televison. Can any DVD recorder do this? Thanks!

P.S. Can any DVD recorder record DD 5.1?

(Philips will not be considered. I had the unit repaired two times before failing now, and the unit had way too many problems even when working.)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The Pioneer recorders will properly record the aspect ratio of the source via S-video (and Firewire) input. If it is 16:9 you get a 16:9 recording; 4:3 gets a 4:3 recording. This is automatic. You can't select it.

When burning a 16:9 disc the Pioneer recorders will include the flag for letterbox 4:3 playback on 4:3 TVs. I have my Pioneer recorder connected via component inputs to a Sony digital XBR TV that is both a 4:3 TV and a 16:9 HD set. The Pioneer settings are for a 16:9 TV. All the 4:3 TV channels and recordings show on my TV as 4:3 and any 16:9 are automatically that way as well. I've never seen what you've described.

I don't know about other brands.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't know about the latest Sony series (315/715/915), but the GX-7/GX-300/HX-900 have a setting in the "Tools" menu that allows you to select 4:3 or 16:9; however this is only possible on HDD, -RW (both Video and VR) and -R. Sony does not allow widescreen formatting on +R or +R/W.

I use this feature all of the time when recording downconverted HiDef. One thing you need to be aware of, for some reason when I record straight to -RW(VR) with the "16:9" setting, when played back on a 4:3 TV the picture has that "tall and skinny look." However, if I record to HDD first, then dub to -RW(VR), it maintains the proper formatting. I'm not quite sure what it is that I'm doing wrong.

Philips long teased us with a model that could record in DD 5.1 but never released it in the US or Canada.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Reposted from a similar thread---

I did! believe Rondawg but... since others are having luck with S-Video 16:9 into the Pannys (E80) I had to try it. I got a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR STB today, used S-video into my Panny E80. No configuration I have tried will send or record a 16:9 signal to the E80 via S-Video.

My Panny E80 DVDR has no component ins.

My 'topoftheline' Sony 34XBR960 HD set only has RCA video outputs that only send 4:3 out to the Panny E80 also.

I'll keep trying over the weekend but I don't think it's gonna work.

Hate to have to buy a Sony DVDR with Component In just for this function.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
gigaguy, Just wondering but are you trying to record the 16:9 picture to the HDD or directly to a DVD-RAM disc? or isn't it working on either? I would also think the box would have to be outputting a 16:9 picture for the Panny to be able to record it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy
Reposted from a similar thread---

I did! believe Rondawg but... since others are having luck with S-Video 16:9 into the Pannys (E80) I had to try it. I got a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR STB today, used S-video into my Panny E80. No configuration I have tried will send or record a 16:9 signal to the E80 via S-Video.

My Panny E80 DVDR has no component ins.

My 'topoftheline' Sony 34XBR960 HD set only has RCA video outputs that only send 4:3 out to the Panny E80 also.

I'll keep trying over the weekend but I don't think it's gonna work.

Hate to have to buy a Sony DVDR with Component In just for this function.
Did you turn off 'DVD-R compatible Rec' [page 44 in the manual] ??? If it is 'on', it will force 16:9 to be recorded to HD or RAM as 4:3.

DVD-R will ALWAYS be recorded as 4:3 on Panny -- but HD and RAM can be 16:9 -- IF that setting is 'off'.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I get the "long and skinny" look on my TV when recording 16:9 on the Pioneer 633. The solution is fixing this on the *TV* - on my panny I hit the "aspect" button which cycles me through justify, zoom, standard/full and 4:3. For whatever reason it always sets the flags to appear as 4:3 I think and hitting standard/full frame I get 16:9. Weird.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys. I tried recording to the hard drive, but I did not change the DVD-R compatible mode, will try that, but the viewed signal coming thru S-video from the SA 8300 to the Panny E80 is letterboxed and postage stamped on most all setups I've tried.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.