AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only thing keeping me away from switching to a mac based pvr is the software. I cannot do away with SageTV + commercial detect. Can any piece of mac software do this?

·
Registered
999 Posts
This is an excellent question. An even better question might be: does any open-source unix software do this? And does such a program exist on the Windows side that could possibly be ported to the Mac / unix?

In reality, deleting ads in EyeTV is pretty simple and it's reasonably fast. However for those of us using a media player such as I-O Data's Linkplayer2, ad removal can adversely affect playback. The current firmware for my LP2 gets confused by breaks in the MPEG2 timing sequence. Sometimes it works ok but other times the player has trouble synchronizing audio & video following the break.

·
Registered
57 Posts
not really a completely mac based pvr, but I run mythtv on a linux backend, with a mac mini as a frontend.

Works almost perfectly for sdtv. Commercial flagging and skipping works, remote control works via lirc and an ir remote in the backend. Very happy with this.. the macmini is almost a perfect myth frontend. Although I still think you'd be better of running linux on the mini... just haven't had the time to dive into this.

I'm running current atrpms mythtv backend on a fedoracore 3 server, and I use this script to build my frontend (make sure you have apples xcode tools installed, and an svn package):
http://steadydecline.net/public/osx-packager.pl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.