AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that most people with high-end PC gaming rigs run their games at 1920 x 1080, or 1920 x 1200 or whatever, but I'm guessing that eventually people will want to run them at even higher resolutions, like 2650 x 1600. Can any projectors natively display that high a resolution?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
The only one - Projectiondesign F35. It's coming out soon, sometime in 2010.


Unknown price, but I'm guessing it's well north of 10 grand.


There probably will be others eventually, but none of them will be cheap.


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18276069


I know that most people with high-end PC gaming rigs run their games at 1920 x 1080, or 1920 x 1200 or whatever, but I'm guessing that eventually people will want to run them at even higher resolutions, like 2650 x 1600. Can any projectors natively display that high a resolution?

Yeah, 1080p just now broke the $1k Barrier, Most are $1.5K and up..


Going higher, you are looking at what are called 2K (2048×1080) or 4K (4096×2160) projectors, Which i dont think ive seen the lowest end one below $12,000.. many are $50-150K...


Trust me, Gaming at 1080P on a PC is just fine unless your gramps is Scrooge McDuck..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts

Quote:
...2K (2048×1080) or 4K (4096×2160)...

Actually, your 2k and 4k horizontal resolutions are correct at 2048 and 4096 respectively but the vertical resolutions will depend on the final aspect ratio (ie. 1.78:1, 1.33:1, etc.).


In any event, such projectors are going to be bloody expensive for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,586 Posts
Sony SRX R/T/S series, JVC/Barco/Meridian first generation 4K and the JVC second generation 4K LCoS projector. And in the past the SEOS (Barco used the same Belgian LCoS panels) Zorro offered the the requested resolution, don't expect these to still be available, as the LCoS vendor went bust. The F35 was announced for H210, but our local distributor told me PD informed him that the F35 should be available in Q210. Depending on the framerate a good ol' BR909 or BR912 might just stretch that far (BR = Barco Reality series).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, it kinda sucks then that PC gamers are going to be stuck at 1080p when it comes to projectors unless they are filthy rich.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18282945


Hmm, it kinda sucks then that PC gamers are going to be stuck at 1080p when it comes to projectors unless they are filthy rich.

Not really. It looks superb at 1080p and it's huge. From any normal seating distance it's doubtful there would be more than a 1 or 2% visual difference.


From about 1.75X the width of the screen it is difficult to tell 1080p from 720p in about 95% of scenes. I have a 720p projector and a 1080p 60" DLP HDTV. Games look amazing on both. 'Nuff said!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson /forum/post/18288069


Not really. It looks superb at 1080p and it's huge. From any normal seating distance it's doubtful there would be more than a 1 or 2% visual difference.


From about 1.75X the width of the screen it is difficult to tell 1080p from 720p in about 95% of scenes. I have a 720p projector and a 1080p 60" DLP HDTV. Games look amazing on both. 'Nuff said!

Better to apply proper anti-aliasing at 1080p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue /forum/post/18283498


You would notice no difference between 1080p and 2560 rez sitting at the correct distance from the PJ.


None at all.


Really? Is this the whole theory that human eyeballs can only perceive so much resolution at a given distance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18289377


Really? Is this the whole theory that human eyeballs can only perceive so much resolution at a given distance?

can you tell the difference between 2560x1600 vs 1920x1080 from:


1 meter away? most likely.


2 meters away? yes.


3 meters away? not always.


4 meters away? harder to tell?


5 meters away? hmmm.


10 meters away? nope.


i'm sure you get the drift now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBeaky /forum/post/18296009


It depends on screen size, see this chart for info:
http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html


So, according to that chart, if I'm about 12 or 13 feet from a 122" 16:9 screen, I would start to notice an improvement beyond 1080p, and if I moved in closer, it would be even more obvious...


They should actually have a built in calculator for this, so you can put in your exact seating distance, and exact screen size, to get a more precise breakdown of how the distances affect it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18297555


So, according to that chart, if I'm about 12 or 13 feet from a 122" 16:9 screen, I would start to notice an improvement beyond 1080p, and if I moved in closer, it would be even more obvious...


They should actually have a built in calculator for this, so you can put in your exact seating distance, and exact screen size, to get a more precise breakdown of how the distances affect it.

Don't forget eyesight has a large affect on it too. From where I sit other people can see SDE on my 720P 106" screen with brighter stuff but I don't (without my glasses of course).


Also PC gaming on a huge screen is not something I enjoyed, although you might have different experiences of course. I love my PS3 hooked up but sitting on a chair with a kb/mouse is just uncomfortable and I makes me nauseous sometimes ... I much prefer my PC monitor for gaming. It probably doesn't help that without my glasses I have to sit a bit closer and it kills my neck. Plus I only play L4D2/CS:S/Red Faction on my PC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmodder /forum/post/18297704


Don't forget eyesight has a large affect on it too. From where I sit other people can see SDE on my 720P 106" screen with brighter stuff but I don't (without my glasses of course).


Also PC gaming on a huge screen is not something I enjoyed, although you might have different experiences of course. I love my PS3 hooked up but sitting on a chair with a kb/mouse is just uncomfortable and I makes me nauseous sometimes ... I much prefer my PC monitor for gaming. It probably doesn't help that without my glasses I have to sit a bit closer and it kills my neck. Plus I only play L4D2/CS:S/Red Faction on my PC.

L4D2 on a 106" screen would make anybody nauseous!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
2k and 4k sound great for eye candy, but for real gaming action unless you have some unheard of super computer, the game would slow to a crawl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,586 Posts
No you couldn't use Eyefinity, to use multiple projectors as AMD doesn't support soft-edge blending and has no inclination to do so, pursuing commercial (cross-marketing) deals with mass LCD panel suppliers like Samsung, instead to have them offer bezel edges of several centimeters wide, ahum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/18297957


2k and 4k sound great for eye candy, but for real gaming action unless you have some unheard of super computer, the game would slow to a crawl.


Right now maybe, but everything improves over time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedmodder /forum/post/18297704



Also PC gaming on a huge screen is not something I enjoyed, although you might have different experiences of course. I love my PS3 hooked up but sitting on a chair with a kb/mouse is just uncomfortable and I makes me nauseous sometimes ... I much prefer my PC monitor for gaming. It probably doesn't help that without my glasses I have to sit a bit closer and it kills my neck. Plus I only play L4D2/CS:S/Red Faction on my PC.


Well, Microsoft sells that wireless dongle thing for the PC, that allows you to use any of the Xbox 360 wireless stuff with your PC. So, you could use a wireless 360 controller. Alot of the really recent games work perfectly fine with a 360 controller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinseiRyu /forum/post/18297944


Using ATI's eyefinity you could use multiple projectors to increase your resolution.


That is one hell of an idea.. There would be NO monitor borders!
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top