AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of the standalone DVD-R recordsers out there can record in Progressive scan via any of the inputs (mainly firewire). If not, are there any on the horizon?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump

No one knows?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Not sure what you are asking.

Progressive scan is a display mode not a record mode. Most DVD recorders can record up to 720x480 or 704x480 (NTSC) maximum resolution through the analog inputs in accordance with DVD-Video standards (up to about 9.5 MB/sec max). Firewire is used for DV compressed input (720x480) to MPEG2 on-the-fly transcoding on the DVD recorders. Several DVD recorder models support progressive scan playback through their component outputs.

HTH,

Vic

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some Mini-DV camcorders can record to tape in Progressive scan. What I wanted to know is if I go from my camcorder via mini-DV will it still be progressive scan to the Standalone DVD-R recorder, or will it be interlace only? Will it burn in progressive or will it be interlaced.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
uhh.. DVD specs allow progressive just fine. 99% of Hollywood dvds are encoded that way too.

As to the original poster, no DVD recorder I know of today does 3:2 pulldown removal and stores that as progressive. Nor are there any that do store the incoming signal at say 30 fps progressive either (not that there would be much advantage to this anyway). If you want this you'll have to do the encoding and authoring on a PC instead. Sucks I know - as the de-interlacing chips used in progressive DVD players are way better than most encoding software for computers these days.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not sure if this is even related, but the Pioneer DVR-7000 has a "Screen Size for Rec" setting of 4:3, 16:9 or Auto. If I set it to 16:9, and feed it an animorphic (squeezed) S-Video signal, the finalized DVD-R will play back as progressive component video on both the DVR-7000 and Sony DVP-S9000.

Normally, the Pioneer will only output 31kHz (480p) component video when the played DVD is recorded anamorphically, so from a certain point-of-view, the DVR-7000 can "record" 480p, or more accurately cause a DVD player to output 480p based on the recording.

- Dave

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
Some Mini-DV camcorders can record to tape in Progressive scan. What I wanted to know is if I go from my camcorder via mini-DV will it still be progressive scan to the Standalone DVD-R recorder, or will it be interlace only? Will it burn in progressive or will it be interlaced.
When they are in progressive mode, do they record 30 fps or 60? If 60, you're going to have trouble getting it to DVD simply because DVD won't support 60-fps progressive. If 30, you probably will get better results with interlace.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frode
uhh.. DVD specs allow progressive just fine. 99% of Hollywood dvds are encoded that way too.

As to the original poster, no DVD recorder I know of today does 3:2 pulldown removal and stores that as progressive. Nor are there any that do store the incoming signal at say 30 fps progressive either (not that there would be much advantage to this anyway). If you want this you'll have to do the encoding and authoring on a PC instead. Sucks I know - as the de-interlacing chips used in progressive DVD players are way better than most encoding software for computers these days.
He's interested in moving DV footage to DVD, however, so 3:2 pulldown is not an issue. I have been told repeatedly, by the way, by people who ought to know that most movies are coded to DVD in interlace format because that improves coding efficiency. I couldn't swear one way or the other on the subject. Doesn't matter particularly to the consumer, as the end result is the same.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MDRiggs,

The camcorders I speak of will either record at 30FPS, or 24 FPS progressive.

The 7000 sounds REALLY interesting now though. I don't know how often I would need that feature, but you never know. I wonder if it will do the same via its firewire port.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.