AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's some really good deals going on for older Coaster models right now and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. Unfortunately, the site that I'm planning to buy from is showing the same seating images for different Coaster models... Can anybody tell me (or even better, show me) what these different Coaster models actually look like? The "Movietime", the "Director" and the "Pavilion" series.

Years ago, I got to see the Coaster "Showtime" model and liked it, but was pretty broke at the time and put it off. The "Movietime" models look like the old "Showtime" ones I actually got to sit in, but because the site I'm looking at ordering from is re-using the same photo for the "Director" and "Pavilion" models, I'm not sure if they're showing the right one for the "Movietime" either - I don't want to order and have the wrong ones show up...

They don't show on the Coaster site itself, I'm guessing because they've been discontinued, unfortunately.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sure what AVS's policy is on posting links, but this is what I'm talking about:

This is their "Movietime" collection - it looks EXACTLY like the old Showtime models:
http://www.homecinemacenter.com/product_p/coa-126a.htm

The Showtime model number was 7537; I did a search on the same site for those and found this - notice the photo is the same, the model number is different from the previous post (but includes "7537" in it) - and the price is different too, but the model number is ALMOST the same (coa-126 vs coa-126a):
http://www.homecinemacenter.com/Showtime_Collection_Black_Leather_Sofa_7537_p/coa-126.htm

Here's their "Director" link:
http://www.homecinemacenter.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=COA-5000-3

And here's their "Pavilion" link - which looks identical, and costs the same, but has a different model number on it:
http://www.homecinemacenter.com/Pavillion_Theater_Seating_3_Black_Chairs_600130_3_p/coa-600130-3.htm

See my confusion? Oh - and I probably ought to ask - anybody had any experiences buying from "Home Cinema Center"? I did a little research and they have an 8 out of 10 rating on "Reseller Ratings" and an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau, but I trust you guys on the AVS Forum...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have had Coaster Director seats for about 8 years. What I have look nothing like the photo in the link. I will post a photo after I get home tonight.

Have you tried a Google search on Coaster & Director?

Rick

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
739 Posts
The Coaster Director is an old discontinued model that was Brown and had rolled arms on the outside arms. I believe it has been discontinued for about 4 or 5 years now.

Here's a photo of it if you'd like to see what it looks like:
http://www.stargatecinema.com/images/T/t_23801-01.jpg

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check this out: http://www.coasterfurniture.com/b/38

Look at the second row, right hand side. They're calling those chairs "Director", and they're black, and they look exactly like the old Showtime models did. Argh! And if you drill down to it, it shows the model number as 7537, which was the old Showtime model number.

My head 'asplode...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much for the photo; it corroborates what KenLerch said.

What I'm wondering is if Coaster has re-introduced a new "Director" model that's really the old "Showtime" model. That link to the Coaster site seems to indicate that, and might be part of what's causing the confusion.

--Tim Gray

·
Registered
739 Posts

Quote:
What I'm wondering is if Coaster has re-introduced a new "Director" model that's really the old "Showtime" model. That link to the Coaster site seems to indicate that, and might be part of what's causing the confusion.

Yes, that's exactly it. Coaster renamed what was the Showtime to the Director for some reason (even though they that had a previous, different model called the Director). You have 100% understanding now. The main thing you need to know is that they are all the same chair no matter what the name is.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. After all of that, I decided to order the Pavillion seats (row of 4) instead of the Showtime/Director(new series)/Movietime models from this place; I'm a little nervous because I called all over town to try to find somebody who had them in stock so I could try them out, but nobody in Houston (at least within about 45 minutes drive time) had 'em. What finally tipped me to go with these instead of the Showtime/Director (new series) models is the adjustable headrest - and the testimonials from the other people on the forum who have them.

I'll post a photo when they show up and I get them in place...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a quick update...I got a phone call Thursday on my answering machine at home from a shipping company; I called 'em back Friday and found out they'd shipped my chairs to Dallas (I live about 70 miles NW of Houston which is about 4 hours from Dallas). Gngngngngngngngnnnngggg....not a problem though, they just sent 'em down to me and they're going to be here tomorrow. Theoretically.

I have mixed feelings. First, I'm shocked how fast these things got here - I ordered 'em on the 30th (a Sunday, no less) and they got to Dallas by April 3rd. Second, I'm a little chagrined all I got was an order confirmation; I didn't get a shipping notice or any sort of tracking or anything (sort of important. I live out in the country, I have a gate and several dogs I need to deal with before a delivery shows up). Third THEY'RE ALMOST HERE THEY'RE ALMOST HERE THEY'RE ALMOST HERE...sorry. Been waiting for actual theater seating for about...10 years now. Guess I can wait another day.

I just know I'm going to open the box up and there's going to have been a mixup. Beanbags and Papasans, I know it...

Or they'll be perfect, I'll grunt all the old furniture out of my theater and get the new stuff set up and perfect and the auto-iris on my Epson 8350 will finally give up the ghost permanently...

*sigh*

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coaster Pavillions - row of four, black.

They arrived yesterday, but I couldn't put them together until very late and was so exhausted afterwards I didn't get a photo... I do wish I'd had a video camera going while me and my poor wife were getting the old sleeper sofa out of the theater to make room for these; America's Funniest Home Videos would have paid top dollar for it as it very closely resembled two primates getting intimate with a football (without going into two much detail, halfway into "making the turn", the sleeper mechanism opened up and we couldn't get it back in for quite awhile...).

My first impressions - very solid furniture, weighty and very ridgid - no play at all while we were maneuvering them around. The cushions are a lot firmer than I had hoped; it's taking a little getting used to. And the recliner mechanisms requires a lot more strength to operate than my old recliners. Neither of those bothers me; I'd prefer starting with firm cushions to soft ones; the firm ones will soften up over time, and the recliner mechanisms will loosen up too. What does concern me is the plastic handle to operate the recliner on the inside of the armrest - that strikes me as VERY flimsy plastic and it seems like a little too much alacrity operating it will snap it right off...anybody ever have to deal with something like that, and how tricky is it to replace?

I do like the adjustable headrests, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that while these aren't recliners that can be set flush up against a wall, they don't travel backward very far at all.

All things considered, getting four of these in a single row for

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.