AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first saw an HDTV demo 5 years ago in NYC at Sony's Metreon. I was absolutely blown away by the picture, it looked like a window. A few weeks ago I started shopping around for HDTVs and nothing I've seen has come close to reproducing that picture. The only thing I've seen are RPTV and direct view CRTs. What gives you the best picture period?(Of everything out there, Plasma, DLP, etc etc) I know best is a bit vague, but I want most "window like" picture. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif I've willing to drop 5-7 k on it really looks that damn good.

I've heard a lot of talk about the Sampo, is the picutre on it window like? I can wait a few months if the newer stuff is just that much better(picutre wise). I might be worth if for the firewire connectors.

The "window" will be used for DVDs, OTA HDTV, TiVo, and video games. I'm prob. going to use a HTPC for it.

Thanks,

Andreas

·
Registered
651 Posts
The "window" effect, in reference to HDTV, usually

means:

- good programming (HDTV-shot, or decent film transfer)

- good HDTV set (reasonably well tuned).

Combine 2 together, and you will have a "window".

Spend $2400 on a 55" Mits, Toshi, Sony or alike - this is all you need.

DLPs are not mature, and square 1/16"x1/16" pixels can be clearly seen. I don't like plasma, period. In any case, both DLP and plasma will cost you $10K+.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Andreas,

As someone who has a plasma set, I would suggest that you not dismiss them from consideration until you see one, particularly the Panasonic 42". They are now around $7,500. You might check in the plasma group here on the forum--excellent information. Even though the Panasonic only displays 480P (downconverts a 1080i signal), in my subjective opinion it has the best image quality and sharpness of any set with that screen size. With HD or progressive DVD input, it also definitely produces the "window" effect you were describing.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

D-ILA projector for a "picture" window. There are real and important downsides to the thing, noise, bulb cost,etc., but the picture is consistantly wonderful. Art

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by billharris4:
As someone who has a plasma set, I would suggest that you not dismiss them from consideration until you see one, particularly the Panasonic 42".
Your suggestion to look at Plasma before buying is a good one, but be sure to view it with a variety of scenes. I have found that they excel when showing bright, colorful contrasty scenes, but do significantly worse than other technologies when trying to render dark scenes with less contrast. All but the newest and most expensive models get an artificial "posterized" look when displaying low light scenes, and even the best I've seen ($25,000 Runco 50") are worse that CRT based projectors and screens in this regard.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ben,

It is true that plasmas are generally weaker when rendering black levels (and significantly so), but the Panasonic TH-42PWD3 does an excellent job with black levels. It is in a league of its own as far as plasma sets are concerned in this regard.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
There is no way 480p can look as good as 1080i. It cuts the resolution in half. If I switch my HD-STB to display 1080i as 480p- what a difference!

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
For CRT-based systems, either FP or RP, you need 9" CRTs in order to have a chance of reproducing most of the resolution in an HD signal. That's not to say it's impossible to build a bad set with 9" tubes, but the 7" tubes just can't draw details that fine. Others may disagree, but side-by-side comparisons I've seen between RPTVs leave little doubt as to which can produce a higher-resolution picture.

In FP systems, units such as the Sony G90 have the big tubes, with a resulting high price. In RPTVs, Philips, Zenith, and Samsung make them and seem be in your price range.

Direct-view sets, while producing a bright, appealing picture, are limited in resolution by their dot pitch and shadow mask. As for DLPs, I don't believe 1920x1080 units are available at consumer prices. 'same for plasma, but again alot of people like the very bright picture.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Along the lines of the last post, I'll say the best HD picture can be obtained from a modern CRT FPTV, regardless of the tube size (9" being better, of course).

The reason is fairly simple - the electronics in a modern electromagnetic focus CRT FPTV are far superior to that in even the most expensive "consumer" RPTVs, with the possible exception of Runco, but that's really a FPTV in "RPTV mode".

However fussy they are to set up, nothing can match an 8" or 9" EMF CRT FPTV on black level, edge-to-edge focus, resolution, and absence of pixels. Some of the other technologies can do better on one of these areas, but falls short on others.

Plasma is a good example - they are very sharp, but their resolution is a bit low (typically 768 vertical pixels), and even the $17k Pioneer's black levels are easily exceeded by a $4k B-Stock Sony D50Q.

DILA's (properly calibrated) come the closest to FPTV CRT performance, but still fall somewhat short on black level, are are expensive to purchase and operate ($1k for 1000 hours).

If you've got the room and good light control, check out the CRT Projector forum - you'll find plenty of units recommended in the $5k-$8k range that will blow away even a 9" RPTV.

Signed - a former calibrated Pioneer 710HD owner!

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ack, I just to two local stores(Tweeter, and Gramaphone, in Baltimore, MD) and they both wouldn't budge from the $3995 price for the WS-55907. I can't buy the set online because that would void my warrenty. Grrr, I hate being at the whim of salesmen. The next stop is the Big Screen Store. I hope they have a better price or I'll just wait until the 2002 show up in July.

Andreas

·
Registered
71 Posts
"I can't buy the set online because that would void my warrenty"

I don't get it? Why? What warrenty? The set comes with a warrently no matter where you get it. And most places will toss in a good 4 or 5 year warrenty for $300-500 I have seen the 53807's for $1800 online so for $2200 or so you should be able to get one with a warrenty. Now I have seen the 807 and the hitachi has a MUCH MUCH MUCH better picture, but at least the 807 has upgrade board slots.

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After looking at a few sets I couldnt' justify the cost of getting plasma and the way my apartment is setup I don't think a FPTV would work. I think I'm going to go for the Mitsubishi WS-55907, I think it's worth the extra price for a nicer lens and better (gold) connectors. With the money I saved I'll probable get a iScan doubler and a better DVD player.

My only problem is getting a good price for this set. Can anybody recommend a authorized dealer in the Baltimore area that isn't overpriced? Tweeter is asking $3995.95 for the set which I think is outrageous because I've seen people get it for much less. Is $3000 a fair price?

I don't think these things are exactly flying out the door with this wonderful economy. I'm in no hurry to buy this set, if something better is coming out in the next few months I don't mind waiting, the same goes for sales. Don't they heavily discount these sets for July 4th?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

·
Registered
651 Posts
Head to ... Sears !

Their official policy is to beat/match any advertized

Internet price.

Some1 I know got a 65" Mits for $2800 from Sears,

just a coupla weeks ago. It wasn't the diamond series,

but it should give you an idea.

I would not spend extra 20% to get Diamond over Platinum.

9" guns would make a difference, not better finish or gold-plated connectors.

55" 55807 was $2400 at local CE chain (Wiz) during FD special.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.