AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are all types of cables companies out there. Some claim that their products will actually make a difference in picture quality.
I dont think so. Perhapses cable shielding will make a difference, but in the end a cable is a cable right? Also whats the deal with all these 24k gold connectors, i know gold has low resistance but does it even matter?
So can anybody tell the difference?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought a bunch of cables from monoprice.com and I think they were like $ 6for 6 feet HDMI cable or somewhere around that price. I see no difference between them and my monster cables. Seem to be the same gauge and thickness as monster, as for shielding I dont know, but picture looks great. I got the 1.3a hdmi cables with gold connectors. You are basically just paying for a name on monster cables. Monster ruined the pricing market for cables with their rediculous markup. Retailers mark up monster cables probably 15-20x what they are actually worth.

check it out

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...E&keyword=hdmi

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i like to buy my stuff from Blue jeans because they are more customizable then monoprice, with lengths and stuff like that. I use to buy monster stuff but after hearing a whole bunch of bad things about them i started to boycott them. I always hear of people spending 100+ dollars on video/ audio cables and i always wondered if there really is any performance benefit. My friends dad had a custom gold braided HDMI cable made. Im not sure if it was solid gold or just the inner wire was coated but It apparently cost over 1k, he did it because he "wanted the best picture possible".

·
Registered
151 Posts
They did a segment on mythbusters, they found no differences among cables, the signal is digital. I picked up a 6 ft hdmi-hdmi today for 20 bucks at a local Apple store. lifetime warr, too

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hmmmm... I cannot say I can tell the difference, no. I have not purchased truly expensive cables. But I have seen setups that used them. The setups were great and used lots of top-tier equipment so I can't point from one setup to another to say "Gee -- those $150 cables really did the trick!"

But I've been doing a lot of reading, lately. I have a tendency to trust certain reviews when observations seem to correlate. Or, more to the point, when my gut says there's something more to this concept.

HDMI cables have about 19 wires in them. Several individual, and three sets grouped together. Somewhere along the line, I think the cheapest cables must fail in certain aspects. Whether it be faulty wiring, bad soldering, no shielding, breaks in the lines -- whatever. So I would buy something above the cheapest and perhaps more mid-tier -- but certainly not gold-plated hoopla.

I do like the concept of the new DLA testing procedures that are being pushed. But I won't be any more inclined to buy $300 cables just because they passed some barrage of tests. Mainly because I can't afford that. But I am willing to buy a tested, highly-rated cable at around $30 each instead of a $6 unit if I can see some validity to that testing. Having said that, I'm in a particular position to see the wholesale pricing of several big name cable products and the retail can be a 10-times mark-up.

Issues that cheaper cables supposedly suffer from? Drop outs. Noise. An inability to handle the demands of HDMI 1.3a vs regular HDMI. Have I proven it by actual field use? No.

If you want get a huge laugh, try subscribing to Stereophile Magazine. The advertisemnt which posed as a "news" article that pointed out that supporting your speaker and audio cables off the floor -- but in a tightened straight line (not allowing anything to dip) -- was a hoot!! I wanted to write in and ask "So... if I tighten the speaker wires tight enough, does it flatten out the sound waves??"

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZER STRIKE /forum/post/13009566

There are all types of cables companies out there. Some claim that their products will actually make a difference in picture quality.
I dont think so. Perhapses cable shielding will make a difference, but in the end a cable is a cable right? Also whats the deal with all these 24k gold connectors, i know gold has low resistance but does it even matter?
So can anybody tell the difference?

I say if you have a clean image on your display, the cable is ok no matter what the price. Some HDMI cables though over really long runs, dont work or are very problematic. Also best to check a long run HDMI cable first before you install in the walls or ceiling, as some have had to remove them later. Most of the HDMI cables that are made today are good. A year or so ago many were problematic.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZER STRIKE /forum/post/13010528

I always hear of people spending 100+ dollars on video/ audio cables and i always wondered if there really is any performance benefit. My friends dad had a custom gold braided HDMI cable made. Im not sure if it was solid gold or just the inner wire was coated but It apparently cost over 1k, he did it because he "wanted the best picture possible".

You can go ahead and laugh at him for buying that hype, because with HDMI cables there is no difference whatsoever in picture quality.

If the cable is damaged or if there is too much signal loss with a really long cable, you will either see NO picture or very obvious artifacts (sparklies or lines).

Otherwise the picture will be identical with every brand of HDMI cable on the market.

Do yourself a favor and use the cable that came with your equipment or buy a simple $5-10 cable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, the quality of cables was a big deal back when we were dealing with analog signals...

The quality of the speaker cables connecting your HDMI receiver to your speakers WILL matter because they are sending analog signals.

The fact that everything is digital now allows for the use of HDMI receivers for passing and switching the video signal. Prior to the video being in the digital domain, it made no sense to have an analog component video signal for example, being sent through your receiver before reaching your screen.

So in summary, as long as its not soooooo cheap that the contacts and wires are fragile, you're better off buying the cheapest HDMI cables you can find...

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbro /forum/post/13017654

Yeah, the quality of cables was a big deal back when we were dealing with analog signals...

The quality of the speaker cables connecting your HDMI receiver to your speakers WILL matter because they are sending analog signals.

LOL tell that to the thousands of us on AVS using zip cord bought from Home depot to send the signal to the speakers

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/13017801

LOL tell that to the thousands of us on AVS using zip cord bought from Home depot to send the signal to the speakers

At least the $1,000/ft speaker cable con artists have a theoretical leg to stand on, even though in reality the differences are inaudible.

With HDMI, there isn't even a theoretical basis. It's identical, period.

With analog non-video cables, any decent cable will work. With analog video cable, a good quality cable (NOT Monster, but real good quality cable that isn't very expensive) can make a noticeable difference, particularly for long runs.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbro /forum/post/13017654

So in summary, as long as its not soooooo cheap that the contacts and wires are fragile, you're better off buying the cheapest HDMI cables you can find...

With cables, you don't necessarily get what you pay for.

I took apart some incredibly overpriced Monster cables only to find one of the crappiest soldering jobs I've ever seen.

There are sturdier cables out there, but you definitely don't have to pay exorbitant prices for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Digital is the transmission of 1's & 0's, Binary code, that's it. As long as the cable transmits that information you're good to go.

There is a difference in analog cables though, especially with audiofile/videofile components.

I buy my HDMI cables from the Comcast/Insight office, $11 for a 12 footer. Quality cable at a great price.

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK, I have worked in the aerospace industries for 30 years, doing rf-hardware, computer hardware, and now computer software.

Gold plated connectors came out of the aerospace industry. Gold is used because it is a noble metal and does not react in a corrosive environment. It acts as a passive layer to the base metal underneath usually copper or an copper alloy. Use of gold on anything other than mating surfaces is for looks only, and does not improve performance. Commerical connectors have nickel plated bodies and gold plated contacts only. Anything else is a waste of gold, unless it is space flight rated. I suspect that many of those gold looking connector bodies are not gold, just look like it.

Cables, the best conductor of electricity is silver not gold. All high quality commercial cable use tinned braided copper for shield and tinned twisted copper for center conductor, tightness of the braid and number of braided layers is what is important. The choice of dielectric surrounding the center conductor will determine impedance, and loses, quality of construction will determine where it can be used, noise rejection, and how the impedance varies down the length of the cable. Note most of this stuff is inside and does not make the cable look pretty!!

Speaker cables, It is well know that even at 60HZ AC has what is known as skin effect in that most of the signal travels down the OUTSIDE of the wire. By making the cable a larger gauge of multiple strands the speaker cable impedance is lowered. NOT impedance is not the same as resistance, impedance is related to frequency the formulas are vary complex.

So the answer is YES, better cables will give better results. BUT only to a point, and I agree Monster is way over priced. I prefer to buy bulk and build my own where I can. I do not build HDMI, unfortunately most HDMI cables are way over priced.

-- Brandy

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have several cables a sony 1.3a a monoprice 1.3a and an atlona 1.3b atlona gives the best pic although all are extremely close the atlona seems brightser and whites....just my opinion i have 42 lx177 and 40 xbr4

·
Registered
97 Posts
i know you cant tell the difference in picture quality but how about the audio? i picked up some monster hdmi cables because i felt the audio might be a little better... any opinions or facts?

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted /forum/post/13021277

Cables, the best conductor of electricity is silver not gold.

Exactly. This fact has given me years of laughs...everytime i see packaging pushing "Gold Plated".

·
Registered
258 Posts
There's a raging controversy in the Forums for Stereophile Magazine -- and it unfortunately has been carried over to the published mag, as well. One guy is offering $1 Million if the Editor / Publisher will conduct a blind listening test using the high-priced cables reviewed in the magazine and tell the difference. Although it's sad to read the name-calling and taunting for the past several months (I will not subscribe again -- and gave up on them many years ago for the same reasons after CDs came out), I have to think back to another magazine called Stereo Review. It may now be defunct.

In that magazine (which was a bit less hauty), the publisher did conduct a series of blind listening tests to see if true audiophiles could tell the differences between CDs of the day (which were just out on the market) and their recordings -- tape or albums. If you accept the tests they ran, they could not. As I recall there was one guy who had a slightly greater positive result after a multitude of tests, but they could not determine if it was by pure chance. Keep in mind, this was conducted by a highly-respected series of judges at the time.

The letters and complaints then started pouring in. They ridiculed everything from the equipment hook-up, to the type of cables, to the weather and humidity, to the carpet, to the Zodiac. But I had to give the Editor high praise on his final concluding words when he put the matter to rest (and I'm paraphrasing, of course):

"And what did we learn from this? If you are convinced that using higher-grade wires or listening to stereo records vs CDs are issues that really matter -- then they do. To you. Nothing that any of us tell you will ever change your mind. No amount of blind testing will ever be sufficient. So spend your money on what makes you happy and get on with enjoying life."

Recently, I've seen two or three suggestions for blind listening tests in various major publications. They always go unanswered. In the Stereophile battle-of-words the manufacturer of the product backed out for any number of reasons -- not the least of which has to be that they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. My thought was they could easily conduct the tests WITHOUT the need to bring a large sum of money into the argument, but they'll never do it. The one statement made in Stereophile by its publisher that I could really agree with was when he admitted his wife was telling him "You're really losing it over this!"

In my own experience, I have to laugh when I remember a friend and I arguing over what we perceived as "defects" after listening to a few CDs for the first time. The "defects" ended up being the actual sound of the drumsticks hitting the edge of the drums in a particular music piece. We had never heard them with such clarity before on our albums. I simply cannot imagine the type of wire used for speakers being detectable by the average listener. Unless it involved a glaring issue, such as exposed wires, a bad ground, or something obvious.

But if you "think" it matters... there's nothing wrong with that!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Owen /forum/post/13026038

But if you "think" it matters... there's nothing wrong with that!

Sure there is, you're being swindled.

People don't buy $1,000/ft speaker cable just because they want to make themselves happy; they buy it because self-proclaimed "golden ears" reviewers (who never prove their ability) and marketing people tell them they need it.

And because the placebo effect is so powerful, this type of fraudulent marketing continues to exist.

I'll bet not one buyer of those overpriced cables would feel good about their purchase if they learned that they spent all that money for zero improvement.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts