AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good sounding receiver with HDMI inputs (the more the better), that can also handle all the new HD surround codecs. I prefer 7.1 support, but 5.1 would be fine as well. Looking to spend around $300.

I've been checking out the Sony STR-DH800 can be had for

Can anyone comment on this receiver? Is Sony considered to be good in this market (sound-wise and reliability)? Should I be looking elsewhere instead?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I read the manual on crutchfield. Anytime you see "for better quality use HDMI INPUT #3"...run, run away far and fast

WTF?? I guess its secret as to why the other 3 HDMI inputs stink? Why would you make something like that?

Like the OP I was looking for a new reciever, one that decoded all the new formats and had HDMI but I am not touching that thing.

SO far my selection is the Onkyo TX-SR607

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullqwerty /forum/post/16993371

Alrighty then...so in this price range people like mainly the Onkyo it seems like? Maybe Denon as a backup, and then Pioneer?

Those are hands down winners over Sony?

Get something better. That Sony is ok but there are AVRs that run circles around it.

The Onkyo 606 is a great entry level receiver and can be found here for $279 (minor cosmetics). Get the one for $319 if cosmetics are important.

The Onkyo 576 is still available and is a nice sounding AVR. I had a 506 for a while - sound quality was very good for the price.

Harman Kardon's ebay store sells many AVRs every day for cheap. Take a look at
the long list of AVRs - 21 will be sold today - prices vary - the 154 is the bargain basement model - goes for around $125 - the 247 and the 254 have the exact same amp - prices are from $160-200 for the 247 - $220 and up for the 254. If you want to step up a bit there is the 347 - not much different than the 247 - a bit more power - the 354 is the powerhouse of the current offerings - but power isn't all that important. Look for features.

The HK 247 is probably the best deal going on AVRs lately. Selling them on ebay gives the appearance of 'dumping' them - but its no different than what Onkyo or Marantz does with their refurbished AVRs on Accessories4Less - but HK makes a bit more by cutting out the middle man - Accessories4Less as an example - and pockets the savings - and you get a better deal.

While you are on Accessories4Less look at the Marantz specials on the left side of the screen. Lots of happy Marantz users as well.

And they all will beat the snot out of Sony.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I started looking into the Onkyos as a Sony replacement... I'm a little confused... Is it generally agreed that the sound quality is superior but they are plagued with problems? Looking at the owners threads for the 606/607, it looks pretty scary.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
JMO but differences in sound quality as a function of which receiver one chooses, at least at the price point being discussed here, are nil. SQ is much more a function of speaker quality and placement, room treatments and calibration.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF /forum/post/17013995

I started looking into the Onkyos as a Sony replacement... I'm a little confused... Is it generally agreed that the sound quality is superior but they are plagued with problems? Looking at the owners threads for the 606/607, it looks pretty scary.

How many people do you know that post how happy they are with a product? Mostly they don't.

The number of owners having problems is probably somewhere around 5% or less of total ownership - and I'd imagine that less than 1% are actually having serious issues with the AVR. That percentage can probably be used to describe any AVR made - with few exceptions AVRs are quite capable - surprising when you look at how complex they are.

Most users having problems never read the owners manual - instead they come into these forums where someone quite like myself - who may not own that particular model goes and reads the manual and helps out others. Don't let all those 'problems' scare you off. They all have problems - most of them are users who don't RTFM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts