AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been posted about now on this board and several others, anyone have any info or links???

I wonder how it compares to the Samsung HD-DVD1000??? which also used the Faroudja 23xx series chips and outputs 720p??

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump, anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
A couple of days ago someone posted a link to a philips website directory with several product brochures for upcomming products. One showed the Q75 and listed DVI and 720P capabilities. Now if they'd just give it a decent cabinet it's be the perfect player.

-phil

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to check that link again, all I could in the pdf were pics of the hd tv set's.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ZZTop,

Bad news. Heard from a friend in Philips that the Q75 was just a concept product. Will probably be dropped as they only want to build "volume" product.

·
Registered
310 Posts
ZZTop,

I posted yesterday a .jpg of the Q65 and Q75 (subject title: Philips DVD Q65, Q75 and Loch Ness).

If ZR is correct, then the Samsung HD-1000 is the only "potential" out of the box 720p player [HTPC not included]. Until someone has the HD-1000, it might as well be .... a Q75. :D

Since the Philips SA963 uses the same fli2300 chip as the Samsung HD-1000 and experimental Q75, it theoretically has the capability to output 720p. Europe has the SA963 and have successfully hacked it to multi-region and pal-progressive.

Now that the Europeans have their basic "advanced features", it may be a matter of time before some enterprising enthusiast can find a way to enable this "other" feature - 720p. [why more people are not interested in this potential, eludes me!?!]

But, 720p may be criticized because it does not adhere to the original source ala the Hitachi and Toshiba 540p up-conversion debate. The concept is the same - not necessarily the implementation of it. So it will be interesting to see people argue against 540p but for 720p.

Honestly, I think the real trick is to get the DVD to do 540p or 720p - this will make the player run at a native scan rate for nearly all HD capable sets.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Quote:
If ZR is correct, then the Samsung HD-1000 is the only "potential" out of the box 720p player [HTPC not included]. Until someone has the HD-1000, it might as well be .... a Q75. :D

Since the Philips SA963 uses the same fli2300 chip as the Samsung HD-1000 and experimental Q75, it theoretically has the capability to output 720p. Europe has the SA963 and have successfully hacked it to multi-region and pal-progressive.
Note that the HD1000 info on Samsung's site says the unit will output only 480p for copy protected material. Will need to hack that too.

Quote:
Honestly, I think the real trick is to get the DVD to do 540p or 720p - this will make the player run at a native scan rate for nearly all HD capable sets. [/b]
Actually, few sets take the 540p input. They upconvert the 480i/480p input to 540p.

It would be better to upconvert to 1080i, which every true HD set will take.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have a feeling we'll have to wait until CES to see if DVI is going to be available as a DVD output. I was hoping that with the Samsung and Philips machines that other manufacturers would feel pressure to use DVI. RIght now my hopes aren't too high.

-phil

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would NOT want to get a DVI output from non-HD source like current DVDs. Your TV set is going to have just one DVI port, so why waste it on a signal that can pass through component connections just fine?

Better to use the one DVI port for an HD satellite/ATSC receiver, or some future HD DVD player.

·
Registered
310 Posts
dialog_gvf

Funny.... semantics get you everytime - I say most, you say few. Toshiba, Hitachi, and Mitsubish are confirmed to take a 540p signal and display it as 540p - no conversion at all. That seems to be a little more than a "few sets".

The assumption for the remaining "few" sets - since 540p is the same scan rate as 1080i, will the monitor display that signal (540p) or not? :D

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CupertinoSlim
I would NOT want to get a DVI output from non-HD source like current DVDs. Your TV set is going to have just one DVI port, so why waste it on a signal that can pass through component connections just fine?
Very simple. I have a digital display. DVD is a digital medium. DVI is a digital transport. A DVD player with DVI out to my display would not go through any D/A or A/D conversions until it met my eye. Repeatable "perfection". I'd buy a DVI switch to handle the DVI from my STB.

-phil

·
Registered
422 Posts
Rather than perfect a DVD signal that's sub-HDTV, and have the D-A/A-D in my HDTV path, I'd rather put the DVI to use where it will make a big difference, like HD satellite, or D-VHS, etc. My point is if you just have one DVI port, why not use it for the highest resolution source?

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
There is no evidence that anyone will EVER release a 720p DVI player that's hardware based (i.e., non HTPC).

Every time we get excited about such a product, it turns right back into vapor.

If the Q75 is a real player, it will be much better than Samsung's offering. Phillips finally got their act together in the DVD arena, IMO, whereas Samsung's offering are useless..

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Hey guys,

Kiss DP-450 scales. There, the cat's out of the bag. I'll comment further when I've finally managed to test the feature (need some special cables for that).

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CupertinoSlim
Rather than perfect a DVD signal that's sub-HDTV, and have the D-A/A-D in my HDTV path, I'd rather put the DVI to use where it will make a big difference, like HD satellite, or D-VHS, etc. My point is if you just have one DVI port, why not use it for the highest resolution source?
Pick up a DVI switch and have the best of both worlds.

-phil

·
Registered
73 Posts
"There is no evidence that anyone will EVER release a 720p DVI player that's hardware based (i.e., non HTPC)".

What about the NRS-DCS.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I heard, Krell was releasing a 720p firmware upgrade for the DVD Standard however, it is not equipped with DVI.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.